IceCap ballast frustration

jimeluiz

My experience is just my own but I thought I would add it to the mix.

Several months ago I blew my IceCap 660 ballast by changing out a lamp while the system was plugged in (don't do that). I sent the ballast back to the IceCap service center and they repaired it and returned it without charge. While they took nearly two weeks to get it back to me it was free.

Then about a month or so later the lights went out again. I had no idea why. I called the service center with questions to see if there was anything I could do and they just said to send it in. So I did.

Again about two weeks later it came back with a note saying they could find nothing wrong with it. It worked fine. But it did not. So I called to ask questions again, but got "whatever is wrong it is not the ballast."

So I replaced the cord that goes from the wall plug to the multi-prong thing that plugs into the ballast. I also cleaned any salt creep on anything I could touch. Still no lights.

Then a guy at a LFS suggested that he had had the experience that sometimes if you warm up the ballast it will work. So I started plugging in a 200 watt light bulb near the ballast for about 5 minutes and then plugging in the ballast and it works!

So I called the IceCap service folks to report my findings and was told "That has nothing to do with anything and is just a coincidence." He further suggested that if I had said more about what was wrong last time perhaps they could have helped me more. I suggested that since I am a humble hobbyist and not an electrician I did not know what was wrong -- that's why I sent it back. Sigh.

So now for the past week each morning I heat up the ballast and it works fine all day.

I'm going to order a new ballast. I figure I got some extra months out of this one after I blew it out the first time. IceCap does not owe me anything. But the service guys have been painfully slow in getting the ballast back to me -- even when I put in my note to them that I would be happy to pay for two-day shipping (which they ignored) and less than helpful when in conversation.

Now I am no DIYer. Maybe if I could talk the banter of an informed electrical guy I could have drawn them out of their shell and had more fun with this. But I must admit to feeling dismissed and helpless.

Oh well - my wiring/lights are an IceCap setup. So I will order another ballast and just turn the page. But I thought I would report my experience. These guys usually get really positive reviews.

One more thing - on one of the vendor pages that sell IceCap stuff I saw a 2.5 star out of 5 review for this ballast by their customers. I'm feeling less than enthusiastic about them at this point.

Sorry this was so long.

mps9506

Hate to hear that, they used to be known for top notch customer service.
On the plus side, if you are feeling frustrated with Icecap there are several brands of VHO ballasts you can choose from now.
Good luck with that. Wish I could give you some advice on how to fix that ballast.