Ice Dragon's 75 gallon tank

BigReepher

If you've been in Sandy's then chances are very good that you have seen me in there gauking at the corals. Bruce is the man even though I disagree with him on a few things. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the meeting this Sunday (unless something changes.) but I do hope to make the one in July. I'm not a member of LMAS yet but that also is planned for July. Now that I think about it, I met a Doug in Sandy's one time, do you have a friend that used to work at Greentree Pet Shop in IN?

IceDragon

i try to stay on our side of the river (it smells on the other side :p ) so it must have been another doug

i have probably seen you there at one time or another

as far a prices go sandy's is a litle high end, but on dry goods rob at pets palace can normally cut yoyu some sweett deals if it something that he doent cary but comes from one of his vendors (also his plumping sollutions and pump knowledge are as good a bruce's IMO and rob can normally find a cheaper solution to your issues)

wooddood

the wood dude
:D yeah jeffersonville, clarksville, or new albany i lived in new albany form august of 91 up to 95. i worked in louisville daily we ran a satellite store thier called consumer cable. in the chrysler building on bardstown rd.:D

dave.:p

IceDragon

wow i never knew there where so many reefers around me

oh btw i saw wondering will running atenics only promote algea growth(i am kinde enjoying watching the little things from my live rock scamper around the tank)

Witfull

welcome aboard IceDragon.

with jawfish you will want a decent sandbed (6") for them to build a burrow also they will need some rubble to support the tunnel. make sure your LR is on the bottom of the tank and then the sandbed added so that they do not undercut the rock creating a landslide that could crush them or worse yet crack the tank. also banded worm gobies...aka engineer gobies or consumate tunnelers and will definately create havoc if rockwork is not stable.

Get some cheap good base rock and put the real good stuf on top of it.
The base rock should be touching the bottom of the tank to keep the other rock from tipping over. Or you could build a PVC rack and put the LR on top of it.

Dave

IceDragon

i move my rocks down to the glass as every one is suggesting

as for base rock i intend to get some reefbones from Premium aqautics (about 40LBS worth) and then cure it along with thier uncured show tonga i figure this way i can save cash and still get the looks i want and the biodiverity i need

IceDragon

hey jay good to see you here

btw just as an update i have plumbed the autotop off system ... so 2 floatswitches and it will be done :)

also tried to run my SWCD of my GenX GX2400 pump and it just cant handel running inline like the box says (oh well at least i found a guy at the LFS that is going to buy it for 85% of what i payed), so i tried using my mag 7 return and it worked like a charm ... so i think whem finances permit i will need to order a mag 5 to run my SWCD ... that will give me about 1000 total GPH of current in the main tank

let me know what you all think

IceDragon

yeah i thought about that so i cut a custome foam prefilter from a hagen auqaclear mini refill ... i checked the flow rate with and with out on the mag 7 and the circulation loss seemed negligable.

please let me know if this is a good idea or not

IceDragon

hmmm .... well i installed my euroreef 3 days ago and i have plenty of bubbles but not a drop of skimmate ... i have check the config 10 times and the waterlevel is exactly up to top of the bodys neck (as per owners manual) could this be just because there is only base rock in my tank and if so what can i do to give my skimmer something to skim so i can test it?