I want some opinions....

ReefDave

Well, it looks like the 125 idea has to be scrapped because of size and cost. So, what I'm ending up with is a Oceanic 70 gallon high (36x18xwhatever). My question is for lighting I'm going for either the Blue Line Sea Star 250 watt OR the 400 watt. My main interest is in LPS and soft corals. Maybe a few SPS up top merely for the effect of a reef crest. Would the 250 be enough? These fixtures also contain 2 32 watt pc actinics as well. Ive heard having the pcs in a pendant like that will shorten the life of the bulbs (not like it matters but I just want to know).

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Would the 250 be enough?

Are you talking one bulb or 2 bulbs for a 36" long tank ? 1 halide bulb for every 2 feet of tank, up to 3 feet if you use a good reflector like the LumenArc.

jcigars

cheeks69 said:
Are you talking one bulb or 2 bulbs for a 36" long tank ? 1 halide bulb for every 2 feet of tank, up to 3 feet if you use a good reflector like the LumenArc.

Cheeks69 is right about the Lumenarc....they kick but. The spread over my rubbermaid is just awsome.

51_G.sized.jpg

ReefLady

Staff member
I would think a 250 would do fine for mostly LPS, and like you said, SPS near the top.

Softies would be plenty happy in the lower ranges.

mps9506

With that fixture and that dimension tank you will find the sides of the tank to appear very dark.
I too like the lumenarc reflectors, but keep in mind that they are pfairly large and hard to hide over a tank that size.
You may also want to looking the PFO 36" parallel reflector, it will hold either one bulb in the center or 2 bulbs over each end. With one bulb in the center it has a very nice light spread, in addition to having room for 36" PC or VHO bulbs on each side of the bulb.

Either way, 250 sounds fine for what you are wanting to do, I haven't heard anything about PC bulbs shortening the life of MH bulbs. They probably increase the heat inside the fixtures, but if they are properly cooled I wouldn't forsee any problems...

ReefDave

"With that fixture and that dimension tank you will find the sides of the tank to appear very dark"

As weird as it sounds, I really like the look of that. The reef structure is going to essentially be kind of pyramid shaped so I think w/ a black background, the fade on the sides would create and effect of a larger tank than it actually is. Also, if that looks real bad, I will mount the pendant the opposite was as normal (bulb running across the length of the tank.)

"I haven't heard anything about PC bulbs shortening the life of MH bulbs."

I was actually talking the other way around but who cares....compared to 250 watt MH bulbs, 32 watt pcs are cheap! Also, as for proper cooling, this will be open as a pendant over the tank(some heat loss) and the system will be chilled as well.

"I too like the lumenarc reflectors, but keep in mind that they are pfairly large and hard to hide over a tank that size."

I think a sea star pendant is bad looking already, this will be in my bedroom and it has to look half decent, I can't really handle anything bigger than that.

Also, I have may be ending up w/ the 400 watt, just because it only costs about $15 more (LFS employee discount=wholesale prices=deals galore.)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I look forward to seeing this 'pyramid' type design. It will be refreshing to see something different. :)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I too like the lumenarc reflectors, but keep in mind that they are pfairly large and hard to hide over a tank that size.

Yea that's why they have the Lumenarc A3 Mini. I could never get the regular Lumenarc III in my canopy without some major adjustments.