I want another Christmas Tree for Christmas

chum

:snow: I have had a Christmas tree coral since March and am wondering how it propagates.
Does anyone have one, or have had one propagate? Or anyone have any info? THANKS!:)
Pics: sorry they are blurry. (I didn't know you should turn off all currents before taking pics.)

DSC00694.jpg
bottomdwellerlefthalfoftank.jpg
DSC00760.jpg

PEMfish

Cool. I've never seen those before. Can't help you but, sense they like the bottom, can you put it very near the bottom on LR or actually on the substrate. I think that would cause rot...

Darn it! Now I have to get one. And a couple pairs of Christmas worms as well. My wallet is raving...

chum

PEMfish, Thanks for your interest in my Christmas tree. I am getting more discouraged as it is appearing to shrink more these days. Here is a recent picture taken about a week ago. That is the most it has extended for several weeks now. I'm not sure what you mean by rot?... :dunno: I do have it on the bottom.
saltwatertank65gal11-09-07tanktang.jpg

Here is a tank shot with the tiny, tiny shrunken christmas tree in the middle front...to the right of the green tongue coral....Help!!! instead of multiplying, I think it is dying....... no Christmas tree for christmas????...:doh:
saltwatertank65gal11-09-07tank004.jpg

chum

Paul 'em and Lynn and Frank,
Thanks alot for your encouragement about the tank scape. The corner of my family room only had enough space for a 36 inch wide tank, so I went deep to get a bigger tank. I bought a bunch of big tonga rock "branches" that had tree like branching and then put a secondary level of mostly flat figi on top of that.
Since I have a 24" deep 65 gal. tank, I had to get the softies up closer to the light so they live on the secondary level. (I only have 2 watts per gal.) I started to invest in more low light and non photosynthetic corals because I had alot of space on the lower level in the caves and on the bottom. The gorgonions, sun tube corals, and coralmorphins seem to love it down there.:) The Christmas tree...not so much.

The fish seem very happy with lots of places to hide and free space to swim in and out of the tonga branches on the bottom.

However, the Christmas tree, should be "in its glory" during this season of the year. I read that it needs to be embedded in a sand bed. I may have to get a wavemaker, as I read somewhere they need alternating current.

Thanks again, you guys for the encouragement on the tank...you lifted my spirits :whstlr: even though the Christmas tree has me a little down right now...:smirk: I have not given up hope, though... Faith, hope, love to all during this season of the year.:snow:

lcstorc

Gotta have hope.
Since I am totally unfamiliar with that coral is it a type of leather? It kind of looks like it but I have never seen one.
If it is still doing poorly try changing something in it's environment. You may have it with the flow. With such a deep tank do you have any powerheads lower down? Pointing 2 powerheads at each other does a random flow without a wavemaker. You could at least try it that way before investing. Also be sure your powerheads can go on a wavemaker. I know my Koralias are not supposed to be run on a wavemaker.
I think you may have just given me some really good scape ideas for my 90.
Thanks.
:)

chum

I believe these are a type of leather coral, like a cross between a finger leather and a sea rod. They do not contain symbiotic algae and so should be kept in moderate to dim light intensity. Nilsen in Reef Secrets says they are difficult to feed and keep for a longer period of time and tend to collapse with little chance of recovery. Food requirements are tiny planktonic fare, such as live brine shrimp nauphi. I have given it phytofeast, arctipods, phytoplex, zooplex, and other preparations but not "live" food, so that may be the problem...:bouncebox
It likes a deep substrate where it can anchor itself. I have it in about a 2 inch sand bed.
I do have flow on the bottom, with 2 power heads on opposite sides of the tank which keeps the gorgonions happy.