i think phosphate

reefer1

i Have a problem i am getting a alge bloom. I have a 18 gallon reef tank with a aqua clear 300 outside filter with reef carbon in it, and i have a seaclone protein skimmer that is for aquarium up to 100 gallons. and ever thing was doing good for a long time then all of a sudden i have alge.but i have tested for nitrates and they are at zero. and all other test are where they should be. but i dont have a phosphate test. could this be phosphate. i use RO water for water changes and to top off the aquarium. the alge is brite green on the side and brown on the bottom.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Hey Reefer1 - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!

I think getting a phosphate test kit would be the next step. When was the last time the RO filters were changed?

We know what fuels algae (P, N, Light)....so, lets try and determine where that fuel is coming from. If your water is testing positive for phosphates, then we need to figure out where they are coming from. There has been a lot of discussion lately on phosphates and algae issues, so I've taken in a lot of information. Here is what I've learned. Phosban works to get the phosphates out of the water column...not where it is originating from, so key is to figure out the source. We can all point fingers at substrate, food, etc...but unless you test, you can't be for sure, right? The following tests are ones that mojoreef recommends in determining where the phosphates are originating. Test the phosphates in your sand bed (if you have one) by taking a water sample from 1/2 inch down in the sand. Do another in the middle of where the algae is growing on the live rock. Another test from the RO/DI you are using for your top off water. One way we introduce phosphates is by food, so just to let those that don't know - if you soak your food in RO/DI for at least an hour, it will pull off the phosphates. Then you strain and discard the water - not feeding it back to the tank. Simply rinsing in RO/DI doesn't do enough. Also, do you know what the phosphates are in your mix water?

Another thought...what is your photoperiod, and how old are the bulbs?

Spooda420

all good info from nikki, I had a PO4 problem as well several weeks ago, I tore down the tank and now basically starting from step 1, with no DSB or ANYthing that could introduce the PO4 (I swore to myself I would be better on the husbandry and the maintenance. kill the lights and do several massive WC to reduce the algea get some phosban and test what nikki said. from there we will have a better understanding on how to attack this monster.

C

BoomerD

IF you chose to use Phosban, read my thread on it that is on thie forum somewhere. It made a helluv a mess in my tank, not because of any fault of the product, but because I used it incorrectly. The favored way is in a fuluidized bed filter with VERY low flow. Too much flow, and you will cause the media to fracture into micro particles and it will turn your tank orange/red, and it's a real PITA to recover from.

wooddood

the wood dude
quick question how long has the tank been up and running? do you have live rock, what kind of substraight are you using. give us a little more info on your setup and i think we can nail down the problem. also what lighting are you running.

reefer1

phosphate

thanks for the replys. Ok i have had my reef set up since jan 1, i have 26 lbs of live rock, 7 hermit crabs four turbo snails a tiger stripe brittle star for the clean up crew. i have about 2 inches of sand too. my lights are the same age and are for a reef setup. i clean everything once a week except for the protein skimmer. i appreciate the help, i love having a reef tank. and when it is looking good it is so worth it :). thanks again and i hope everyone has some ideas on my problem.

reefer1

phosphate

opps i forgot i get my RO water from the local walmart, and i make sure it is up to date on the test that they do on the system

EdgeKrusher

WELCOME!
Your tank is still young my friend. I think we've all had this happen to us when our tanks were starting out, I know I did. How much do you feed? How often? And what do you feed?

Peace

EK

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
Welcome,
What type of lighting are you using and how long is your photo period?

You might want to get a phosphate test and check the RO water you are using, depending on the source water RO can have a high phosphate content. Where I'm at water from the RO only has an extremely high phosphate level, hence my need for a DI filter stage.

Edge is also right on with the feeding questions, how much, how often and what you feed can cause an algae issue.

reefer1

phosphate

I feed two times a day and i feed with with a hard air line tube and a eyedroper on the end so i can make sure everything gets ate. i feed brine shrimp and plankton. not sure on the lights I think they are actinic white and actinic blue. which are on from 7 in the moring to 7 at night. Thanks for the input and keep it coming :)

EdgeKrusher

Um plankton is pure phosephate. What corals do you have that need plankton? How many fish do you have? Feeding twice a day everyday seems like alot of food to be putting in your tank. I feed once a day every other day, the fish are healthy. I started feeding this way because of a nasty Cyanobacteria outbreak. I haven't seen that or hair algae since.
The fish get fed Formula-1, Brine, or pellets depending on what they had the day before. Let us know how many fish you have. most corals use light for energy, so feeding isn't neccessary, and if they need food they'll get it from the waste, and or leftover's that are floating in the tank.

reefer1

I dont have any corals just two ocellaris clowns, one lawnmower blenny, one flame scallop. and one bulb anemone. and one peppermint shrimp. im waiting on the corals for a bit. and thanks again I will go back to brine shrimp once every other day.

EdgeKrusher

I would mix it up and use other foods. Get some Formula one, flake, pellets, Or you could make your own. The fish will do much better if they are given a variety of things to eat. You may also want to start target feeding your Anemone. I'm not sure what you can give them. hopefully someone will chime in and let you know. Or put up a post, but Anemones need very very good light, and different food than what the fish eat.

johnlewis

I've target fed anemomes home maid mush, whole uncooked shrimp, or chucks of fish. The large foods I fed only once a week unless the anenome is large.