I think I've decided on my lighting.

ReefSparky

Well, all. I think it's going to be the Aquactinics TX5 with 5 bulbs for right now. This should fare well for a 21" high 55 gal tank. I can't fit 6 bulbs, so it's going to be 5. I think it's going to be 3 bulbs @11K or 12K, and 2 actinic. Unless it would be wiser to go with 3 actinic and 2 12K's. I don't know the difference, but I do know that I think a bluish hue is prettier, and if it's not bad for the corals, I'd personally like more blue light than white.

From my research, it's going to be Giesemann or ATI, or maybe a mixture.
I can choose from the 54W 12K ATI Aquablue Special T5HO, or the Giesemann 54W Aquablue Plus 11K Powerchrome Bulb. They're both about the same price. For the actinic, I can go with the Geisemann 54W Pure Actinic Powerchrome Bulb, or from ATI, the 54W True Actinic 03 T5HO.

I honestly don't know much, other than the great advice I've gotten from the forum. Any suggestions about which ones, and how many of each (3 and 2 with more actinic, or more 12K?)

If anyone has any different suggestions, preferably based on their personal experience, I'd love to hear it. If you like other brands of bulbs, etc, let me know. Someone once mentioned a 15K bulb, but I don't see any in T5 configuration.

Let's hear it, people! Thanks.
Thanks again, everyone!

prow

is this the DIY fixture or just DIY in hood? also for req on bulbs first tell me what type corals you plan on?

ReefSparky

It's a full fixture. I have no hood/canopy. Here's a couple of pics:

aquactinicsT5_36fixture.jpg

aquactinicsT5bottom.jpg

I'd love to say that I've researched corals as much as I have everything else, but I have not. Every decision I make will be well thought out, and no corals will be purchased before at least knowing what types will populate half my tank. However at the moment I've spent all my time researching lighting and deciding which RO/DI unit to buy, and finally spending time building a small refugium for nitrate consumption and copepod production.

If this helps, I know I very much like the hammer coral, I like mushrooms and just about every SPS I've seen. I think xenias are beautiful. That's about what I know so far. Finally, I'd love to have a squamosa clam or two. I haven't researched enough to know if the afforementioned can even coexist in one tank, but I won't buy a thing until I research it.

lcstorc

Well the SPS and the Clams require the most light. I do think with that shallow of a tank and that many T5s with individual reflectors you should be ok. You might want to keep the SPS and Clam higher up in the tank to be sure. I believe Sqamosa are sand dwelling clams so you may want to hold off on that until you see how things go with the lights.