I really want a clam!

woolfe

Hello. I have wanted a clam since I started with my tank but was told that my lighting isn't strong enough, I couldn't afford halides when I was setting up. The type of clam isn't an issue. I'll take what I can get as far as that goes. Here's what I have, I'm writing it as it was on the box the light came in because I don't really know what it all means.

48" Nova Extreme (I know what the 48 means LOL)
4x54w T5 HO slimpaq 10,000k Daylight
4x54w T5 HO slimpaq 460nm Actinic
4 moon white lunar lights

Is there any clam for me?:lookaroun

aquaman3680

You can definitely get a clam with that system. I would try to steer away from the croceas... They are the most light demanding. I would look into a maxima.

Matt

woolfe

Woooooooo Hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :snshne: :apimp: :bigblue: :goofy: :bump: :dance: :happywalk :D ;) :bouncer: :bluenod: :bluenod: :bluenod: YES!!!!!

Thank You so much

lcstorc

Maximas like being on the rockwork. Put them high in the tank on a rock and you should be good to go as long as the tank is mature and stable. Remember they like calcium too, so check your levels.

woolfe

AT last check (last week) my calcium was around 400. Is that good? My tank has been running for about 7 months. Should I wait??? Please say no, please say no, please say no....................

lcstorc

I think you are fine. As long as the parameters are stable.
Be sure to post a pic of the beauty. :)

Witfull

i would vote squamys....beautiful and less light demanding, and dont get HUGE like derasa.

AVOID GIGAS.they are monster reef only~

panmanmatt

I second the squammosa. Not very light demanding but they will get to about a foot in size.
Personally, I wouldn't attempt a crocea or even a maxima (unless it's a gold maxima). Any of the really bright coloured clams require lots of light to maintain those colours.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What are the dimensions of the tank ?
Do you have alot of corraline algea throughout the tank ? That usually indicates that your cal/alk levels have been stable for a good period of time.
I know people who use T5's and keep Crocea/Maxima's successfully but usually Metal Halides are your best option. A Squamosa would be an excellent choice.

woolfe

my dimensions are 48x24x18. I do have a lot of coraline growth. I think. I'll post a pic of it in a second. I'm going to take one right now.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Great thread. I've been considering a clam as well. This has been a tremendous help. Thanks Woolfe! Good luck wiht the clam purchase. I really like the tear drop and midnight clam. Tagging.

woolfe

Here are a few pics. I can try to get better ones if needed.

Attachments

• Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 161
  • center.jpg
    center.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 158
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 160

daddio

No kidding. If you are able to keep all of that coral alive and well, a clam should be easy. It will make a nice centerpiece.

SueT

I would suggest any of the lower lighting clams like squamosa, derasa as they are very nice clams and some have really great mantle patterns. The higher lighting needy clams like crocea and maxima are rock dwellers and should be kpet under halides for the intensity of the lighting.

Your sand bed looks to me like it's all ready for a clam or 2.