i need some advice on filtration for my 125 gallon

caseyjones818

i just got a 125 gallon tank that im hoping to establish a reef in. it has two holes on the bottom and returns at the top for closed filtration. i want to use my fluval fx5 for the closed and then do a diy overflow in the corner with a sump to pull from the surface. my question is how big of a sump should i shoot for?

chipmunkofdoom2

Canister filters + reef tanks = no.

Canister filters have their uses, but there aren't many in the reef keeping sector. Use the holes drilled for the sump and sump return.

For sump size, use as large of one as you can.

DaveK

I would recommend the largest sump that you can reasonably fit into the stand. I would use a berlin type sump using filter socks, with a large powerful skimmer, and for a tank this size or larger, I would prefer an external pump, such as a Iwaki.

As pointed out by chipmunkofdoom, canister filters are usually not the best choice for a reef tank. Although you could use it empty for a close loop.

jnohs

You could use the 2 top holes for a surface skimmer and return, to and from a sump. For one hole you would put a small skimmer box mounted around an intake setup. the other the normal 2 headed return "shape shifty thing".

On the bottem 2 holes do a close loop system for good flow. That is probably the most leak safe set up. If you use the bottem holes for the sump set up there is a possiabality of a water disaster. the bottem holes really should pluged for the most safe precautions. But forget that since they are there utalize them the water-safest way with a closed loop pump system. This way if the pump fails nothing leaks or spills. If you do use the bottem 2 holes for a closed loop system dont forget to install ball valves and unions on both sides of the pump so you can service the pump with out draining any water if necessary.

Good luck:)