i hope i didnt kill everyhing in the tank

jck9

well i made a sump for my 55 reef but i think now that i might have used the wrong silicone. i used 100% sinicone but i now see that it says bio seal mildew protectant on it> is that bad will it kill everything and will carbon remove it? will it always be in there? should i take out the sump and start it again? im really nervous. i posted in the anemone forum about my bta and im now thinking this is the problem. everthung else seems ok. please give me some advice. thanks

BoomerD

Could INDEED be the problem. NEVER use any silicone with "mildew inhibiting agents", as it can be HIGHLY toxic to the animals in your tank...if it were me, I'd definitely take that sump out of service and rebuild it...

lcstorc

Man what a bummer. I would take it apart. Particularly since one animal is clearly not happy.

prow

oopppsss, i did that the first time i built a sump. and yeah you need to redo it. that stuff will leach out more and more as time goes by killing your bio/algae/funna.

zimboy

the mildew preventative is arsenic based if i remember correctly, so it would definately be best to start again

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Oh that sillycone, they print so small its impossible to read, good luck with your grief. Steve

jck9

sump is remade and drying. have a temp sump right now 10 gal rubbermade tub. the other will be drying for a couple days. i used all glass aquariums silicone. it says its for aquariums so i should be safe there right. dont know why that stuff wasnt suggested when i asked what to use in the other forum i used to be on. never even seen it before found it on accident today. i hope i cought it on time. i did a water change today. should i do one every day this week?

prow

the carbon is a good idea. but instead of doing daily smaller water changes, for this, it would be better to big water changes. i would do 2 50% changes for 2 days.