HELP! I have had it with this algae!!

spiraling

Hello Spiraling, Have You gone thru with the additive? How's it working? I keep blasting and running socks after about 20 mins The socks are clogged. and water changesThanks

I was on vacation so I've only used it one week. No change yet. I also took the zoa frags and did an H2o2 dip yesterday. It seemed to have helped on those, but I cant dip all the corals (since many melt with h2o2). Its also all over the rocks and eggcrate and glass. If I nuke all the surfaces I'm a bit afraid i will cycle again.

I did start feeding my tank more. The healthy corals have the stuff all over the frag plug but the coral looks good. The ones that were already stressed get this stuff on them then don't open up. So I'm cleaning them weekly by brushing and trying to feed them more. They don't like the brushing, but they don't like the slime either.

lzrlvr

hey I have that in my 12 gal tank with no protein skimmer . I use a small air tube to remove it from the rock and sand. my tank is 5 years old and survives well although this snotty algae resides in my system.

ChitownRomeo

this algae is not snotty at all. I think you might have Dinos! This algae is very very fine white hairs like cobwebs.

spiraling

The stuff I have is more like a slimy film maybe, hard to describe. I gotta find a pic.
Mine is not hair like but a film as well. I thought at first a white cyano because it smells bad, but this has more of a film that attaches firmly to things.

I did a big tank cleaning yesterday. It seemed a little easier to remove this time?
I'll see if it comes back as fast.

cracker

Spiraling, it "seems" I am getting more out as well. lots of blasting and weekly 40 gl water changes, (my tank is 200 gl) I also reinstalled the biopellets and have been experimenting with an algae scrubber to remove excess nutrients. Santa Monica has been helping me with that. After all, that is the root of the problem regardless how it gets in the tank. whether it's overfeeding, old rock, additives, biopellets , meds , etc etc who knows, I certainly don't! If this hobby was easy it wouldn't be any fun!

ChitownRomeo

Well good news to report. After trying Gfo, Phosguard, 2 new rodi units, Chemi clean, darkness for 3 days, Carbon, Heavy water changes, Pimafix and melafix....NOTHING WORKED. Started using Api Algaefix marine for about a month and guess what.....DIDN'T WORK! Called Api and they advised me to dose every 3 days and continue with the carbon, wet skimming and water changes. another month passed and "ghost algae" was covering every rock now! So one day my daughter comes in the room right before I'm about to strip out this expensive 65 pounds of Real Reef Rock and watches me in anger lol. Then she quietly says "Dad why would Api say do water changes once a week" I say " Cause it's to get the nitrates and anything else out the water" She looks at me and says "Daddy.... wouldn't that also take the medicine out the water.......*Blank stare*........ *Continues blank stare* I stop what I'm doing and dose it again this time just heavy skimming and NO water changes. 4 doses of Algaefix Marine into it now and the Algae is dying FAST. I CAN SEE THE PURPLE ON THE ROCKS AGAIN!!!! The white furry algae is 90% gone and all that's left is the brownish mat the fuzz was growing on. And that's rapidly going away. even the trochus snails shells which had hair algae on them is gone! Shells are beautiful and purple! Man I'm so happy right now. I must add that during this dosing phase only 1 snail died. Corals, fish and inverts were not affected. Moral of the story..... While dosing Algaefix Marine, DO NOT overdose, Dose every 3 days and do not do water changes until algae is dead. Once it's dead then do a big water change. I don't know what caused this "Ghost Algae" and it didn't start until I got this real reef rock and dosed Microbacter 7.

Dracko

Well good news to report. After trying Gfo, Phosguard, 2 new rodi units, Chemi clean, darkness for 3 days, Carbon, Heavy water changes, Pimafix and melafix....NOTHING WORKED. Started using Api Algaefix marine for about a month and guess what.....DIDN'T WORK! Called Api and they advised me to dose every 3 days and continue with the carbon, wet skimming and water changes. another month passed and "ghost algae" was covering every rock now! So one day my daughter comes in the room right before I'm about to strip out this expensive 65 pounds of Real Reef Rock and watches me in anger lol. Then she quietly says "Dad why would Api say do water changes once a week" I say " Cause it's to get the nitrates and anything else out the water" She looks at me and says "Daddy.... wouldn't that also take the medicine out the water.......*Blank stare*........ *Continues blank stare* I stop what I'm doing and dose it again this time just heavy skimming and NO water changes. 4 doses of Algaefix Marine into it now and the Algae is dying FAST. I CAN SEE THE PURPLE ON THE ROCKS AGAIN!!!! The white furry algae is 90% gone and all that's left is the brownish mat the fuzz was growing on. And that's rapidly going away. even the trochus snails shells which had hair algae on them is gone! Shells are beautiful and purple! Man I'm so happy right now. I must add that during this dosing phase only 1 snail died. Corals, fish and inverts were not affected. Moral of the story..... While dosing Algaefix Marine, DO NOT overdose, Dose every 3 days and do not do water changes until algae is dead. Once it's dead then do a big water change. I don't know what caused this "Ghost Algae" and it didn't start until I got this real reef rock and dosed Microbacter 7.
Just noticed it starting in my tank. Will try what you say.

StirCrayzy

Interesting I would think the water changes in addition to dosage would maintain the recommended saturation of medication in addition to removals of toxins/nitrate.

Stephane Cote

Then she quietly says "Dad why would Api say do water changes once a week" I say " Cause it's to get the nitrates and anything else out the water" She looks at me and says "Daddy.... wouldn't that also take the medicine out the water.......*Blank stare*........ *Continues blank stare*

i love kids for that. they think basic and most of the time the 'solution' is staring your right in the face but we overcomplicate things. They, on the other hand, point out the 'obvious'.