I have caught the challenge..

beasone

ok, my BF brought a saltwater tank into my life and now I want to get it where things don't die ALL the time. He has given up.. I am going to take over but know nothing <but LOVE a challenge>!
It is a 33 gallon long tank and we have two filters, lights, fan, electronic charge thingy.. lots of live rock and down to two live shimp (one blood shimp) and snails. That is all that is left.. just lost the lightning clam dude..that was sad. fish all died.
Now, this is what 'we' have been doing.. not really changing the water per se' we tried that once with the water from the fish store and everything died (though I think that was unrelated) so, we add water as it evaporates and salt as needed to that water. I then check the salt with the floating thingy :yup: - so much for technical terms. We have a vacuum and clean the sand (yes there is sand, I forgot that part).. so food.. once a day (ok, no fish left so every few days,now) of the dried stuff.. we also have the cubes of brine shimp which I would switch it up with..
so.. where to go from here... I think I will get a cheap fish and see if he lives in what I have? Any ideas? No clue why all the fish died.. didn't see any ick? Can you see ick? Lost some great fish and sure am tired of flushing money.. so again, thoughts from here? Your wisdom is appreciated...

(oh and some pumping zena's and other sea grass stuff.. and a crab.. forgot him!)

newreefguy

Water changes are important... they help rid the tank of excess....nitrates,phosphates,
ammonia.... ect... how long has this tank been running? Has it "cycled?"
Do you have test kits? If so what are the parameters?

Luukosian

I'll ask a few questions to get the ball rolling....

1. how much live rock is in the tank

2. do you have a picture of said tank

3. how long has the tank been set up

4. is it a filter that hangs on the back of the tank you are using

5. I'm assuming you dont have a sump(another tank underneath the tank) but you know what say about assumptions, so...do you have a sump?

6. Did the fish show any signs of disease before death(spots, discoloring, rubbing against the rocks ect.)?

7. do you have test kits for nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia?

8. what salinity are you aiming for with the hydrometer(floaty thing)

9. how many inches of sand and how often are you vacuuming?

ok that will get you started....

beasone

the sand and live rock... I would say a year.. maybe 14 months. And I think you are right with the water changes.. the last time we lost all the fish the nitrates were off the charts.
I was told there aren't any ways to check that?? I thought there were little paper strips or something to use. So... Let's say I can get something to check the water for other 'issues' other than the salt.. and then take 50% of the water out... add the tapwater/salt back in.. check with the hydrometer and then any other issues... and if all is well.. I can try adding a fish?

beasone

the sand and live rock... I would say a year.. maybe 14 months. And I think you are right with the water changes.. the last time we lost all the fish the nitrates were off the charts.
I was told there aren't any ways to check that?? I thought there were little paper strips or something to use. So... Let's say I can get something to check the water for other 'issues' other than the salt.. and then take 50% of the water out... add the tapwater/salt back in.. check with the hydrometer and then any other issues... and if all is well.. I can try adding a fish?

oops.. duplicate post! Darn Newbie... :)

Luukosian

if you are using tapwater do you take the chlorine/chloramines out with something first? Most people use RO/DI(type of water filter, google for pictures) water. And yes, you can buy nitrate test kits, they are pretty cheap. Tests that use vials and drops are the standard, not many companies make strips for saltwater anymore. I would definetly do the 50% change, but let the water mix with the salt for 24 hours at least before you add it to the tank..

beasone

I'll ask a few questions to get the ball rolling....

1. how much live rock is in the tank - 25-30 lbs

2. do you have a picture of said tank - I do.. I will post as soon as I can

3. how long has the tank been set up - little more than a year

4. is it a filter that hangs on the back of the tank you are using - one protein skimmer rated for a 100 gal tank, two 50 gal filters

5. I'm assuming you dont have a sump(another tank underneath the tank) but you know what say about assumptions, so...do you have a sump? no

6. Did the fish show any signs of disease before death(spots, discoloring, rubbing against the rocks ect.)? none

7. do you have test kits for nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia? no,, but i will! ;)

8. what salinity are you aiming for with the hydrometer(floaty thing) -24-26

9. how many inches of sand and how often are you vacuuming? - 2 inches of sand (....once a month ...)

ok that will get you started....

Luukosian

Sounds like you have a decent set up that just got neglected, you need to get your tests and go from there. I think if you start doing water changes on a normal basis you will be fine. If it was my tank I would probably do 5 gallons a week after you do the big water change. Look into purchasing an ro/di unit to make your water(can be found for under 100 bucks) if you have the available funds because your tapwater more than likely is going to start off with some nitrates and other bad stuff.

Well water wont have chlorine more than likely, but can have other bad things like pesticide runoff(which may be aceptable levels for your drinking but not for sensitive marine fish to live in), I would definetly get the ro/di if you are having fish death problems.

beasone

Sounds like great advice.. I uploaded a pic in the gallery.. not sure how long that takes to show or how to get the link here. :) Thanks I am all ears..

lcstorc

I don't see your pic but I believe a large part of the problem is your water. What part of Florida are you in?
I am in Cocoa and would be glad to help out and there are good clubs in Orlando, Tampa, and Ft Lauderdale that I know of and I am sure they would help.
Meanwhile, remember that the #1 rule of reef keeping is to go slowly. Test things but don't make any major changes. The fish are already dead so the only thing to worry about are the inverts and some soft corals.

newreefguy

I would say that if your not sure about water quality (and can't afford ro/di)
Go to local fish store and see if they sell ro/di water

beasone

They do sell the Ro/DI but I don't want to have to pay a dollar a gallon or what ever it is.. and convenience sake is the other issue.. I do have a filter under my sink.. I think it might be a reverse osmosis contraption.. So I will check into updating the filter and then just check with nitrates etc.
Can someone recommend what I should look for to test and what I need to buy for that? Nitrates, Ammonia, is that it?

I'm in Cape Coral, Lynn.. nice to meet you! At least online. :)

So the plan is to do a 50% water change once I get the water right and add salt the night before to that water.
Then I'll buy a cheapo fish and see if I can keep him alive for a while.. changing the water 5 gallons every week with a sand cleaning... sound good?

tektite

Basic tests that are good to have are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and alkalinity. At the very least you need to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You should make sure your tank is fully cycled, especially after losing so many animals in the tank, before putting anything else into the tank. Are you familiar with the ammonia nitrite cycle?

ReefLady

Staff member
Lots of good advice. I just wanted to welcome you to RS. ;-)

Before you change water, make sure the "new" water is the same temp/salinity and pH as the tank water. You'll need to heat, aerate and mix for 8+ hours.

Buy yourself some basic test kits...get help from local reef clubs and reefers. Kudos to you for taking this on and wanting to do it right.

Luukosian

The lfs might be able to check your water for all these things, if you do not have the funds available for all those test kits yet. Just make sure you watch them to make sure they do them all instead of just doing nitrates and telling you the others are 0.

beasone

no.. I'm clueless on the chemical aspect of this.. any quick cheat sheets i can google? :columbo:

Am I looking for a dropper type thing or strips or multiple applications?

I do realize how important this is and want to make sure the water is where it needs to be before I bring a new fish into the environment..

opps missed the second page posts..

Are the test kits expensive? I have had the shop check water before.. but I want to be able to keep my eye on it..