I got a male boesemani

AJinNY

I saw one at the lfs which is definitely male so I bought him. I put him in the tank and he has thebest coloration but not very intense which could be because he is new and a little stressed.

1.) Heres the question...I have 2 AUSTRALIAN rainbowfish in the same tank and BOTH are male. Is it possible these 2 males are putting the boesemani's "in their place" which could account for why theyre not showing off their coloration?

2.) two of the other boesemanis sometimes swim very close together side by side...anything up with that?

PEMfish

Is it the 6500k lighting on there? that might be the problem. But the preexisting fish were female.

Varga

that would be a neat looking fish.....if all the SW fish on the planet were dead :)

just kidding

AJinNY

Here are 2 pics without the flash....looks like a male to me...I hope the color intensifies as he gets acclimated to the tank. looks good, no?

Attachments

• 110-1074_IMG.JPG
    110-1074_IMG.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 110-1076_IMG.JPG
    110-1076_IMG.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 27

RyanG

Now THATS a male boesemani male. Glad to see you picked one up! That has just about the same coloration as my dominant male. He will be most brightly colored in the am and just before lights out in my experience and also during feeding. The australian male shouldnt bother the boesemani too much one of them will be decidedly the dominant fish of the tank. I have a pair of bronze irianian rainbows with my boeseman's and the Male Boesemani keeps him in check but he still colors up. If you get another boesemani male thats a whole different story. They wont get along well at all. AJ I never asked, WHat size tank are these in?