I found a picture of my parents old tank

frisbee

I was looking through the photo albums the other day and found the picture below. This was taken in 1981, but the tank was set up somewhere around 1979, 1980. They had it for about 4 or 5 years or so. They're kind of hard to see, but it looks like a Yellow Tang, juvenile Koran Angel, Maroon Clownfish, a CBS and a feather duster right in the middle of the tank. It had an UGF. The substrate consisted of crushed coral & there were lava rocks and plastic plants. I remember my dad would vacuum the substrate on occasion and place all the decorations in the kitchen sink with a little bleach in it. This would kill all the algae and make them look brand new again. There was also a normal output flourescent bulb on the tank too. This would create a reflection in the window to the left of the tank at night resembling a light saber. STAR WARS was big at the time so my younger sister & I would run past this room really fast so we didn't get cut. Good stuff! :)

Here's a book that my parents had too. (Copyright 1973) There's another old book around here somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

Last edited:

DaveK

It shows just how far the hobby has come. Early reef systems, as we know them today, were still a few years away.