I finally got my RBTA

semigodd154

I went to my lfs this morning and as promised i was given my new RBTA free of charge it was also attatched to chunk of nicely colored LR that weighs 2-3 LBS so no complaints on my part. And as if the RBTA wasnt enough to make my day I have a friend of mine who was there shopping and told me he was setting up a tank in one of his kids classrooms and asked if i had any frags and of course i do so i said sure what would you like and he gave me a list of stuff which i have most of it and he asked me what i want for the stuff so i gave him a list of stuff i need to put a memorial tank together and part of this list was a protien skimmer he said he had an extra from where he had his 210 setup. The skimmer is a nautilus EX made by kent and rated for a 400g tank which makes me think even though skimmers are always rated at twice the skimming power they have that this should be fine for my 150 FOWLR What do you guys think does anyone have experience with this skimmer or heard if it works ok? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...13412&ref=3055&Nao=180&subref=AC&N=2004+22768 this is the only info i can find for it but i think i will run a mag 12 on it so input would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Shaun

semigodd154

thank you very much. I have used the kent nautilus te and it is a good skimmer after you get it adjusted so i hope the nautilus EX is just as good

BoomerD

No experience with the Nautilus EX, but it's supposed to be the next step better than the Nautilus TE which I DO own, and that one rocks! Rated for up to 300 gallons, (I figure 120 to 150) it really kicks butt on my overstocked 40!! I run the TE with a Mag7, not sure what pump is recommended for the EX, but, unless it has sprung a leak, I think it can be run outside the sump, so your pump options are better.
Nice Score!!

semigodd154

thanks boomer like i said i have used the TE before and it pulled some nasty stuff out made me wonder how the fish live in that ugh on the website i posted it says use a viaaqua 3600 which is rated for 1300+ gph and i do like the fact you can use it externally so hopefully it will work well for an aggresive tank but for the price which is basically nothing i wont complain one way or the other.

BoomerD

Ah, you posted that while I was posting. Good. I got the TE before I had heard all the negative reports on it. Sat in my garage for almost a year, until I needed a skimmer in a hurry. Set up a 10 gallon tank as a sump, and put this thing to use. Took about a week to finally break in, but once it did...whoo-hoo!
Let us know how the EX works!

wooddood

the wood dude
the mag 12 is a little less gph then the via aqua but i think it's close enough that you should'nt have any problems, good luck and good luck with the new rbta also.

semigodd154

yeah boomer that TE works really well nasty black stinking skimmate ahh gotta love it.

wooddood I just realized that i posted the difference between the viaaqua and the mag 12 so in that case i might go with the rio HF20 it also does 1300+gph i could even use a bigger pump this thing has an adjustment knob for the flow so who knows.