I feel so stupid, Help!!!

ReefLady

Staff member
Poor JKsocr4 ... we're not ganging up on you ... just trying to solve a mystery. If you can answer these questions, the answers might go a long way to solving the problem ...

- Have you seen any evidence of a cycle yet - ammonia or nitrite readings?

- What kind (brand) test kits?

- Please list all your current parameters

- Have you fed this food to the fish previously?

- What time of day did you notice (test) that the pH was at 7.8?

- Did the fish exhibit any strange symptoms (gasping for breath, white spots or film) before they died?

- Any recent cleanings near the tank? Windex, carpet cleaning, oven cleaner fumes?

- What is your setup - equipment wise? Is the tank covered, do you have a skimmer? What are you you using for water movement/circulation?

That's all I can think of right now.

JKsocr4

Im taking the advice to let the tank sit and cure for the next couple weeks or so and then see how all the test come out. As far as all the nitrites, nitrates and the ammonia the levels seem to be matching the "good" so im just gonna learn to wait this cycle thing out and add the dead grocery store shrimp.

I have a wisper power 40, with 2 rio power heads on either side of my tank for water circulation. My heater temp is at 78 degrees but i dont have a skimmer. I'm gonna sound like a real ammature, (which I am!!) but what is a skimmer? LOL

I do have live rock as well as live sand but im just gonna do regular water test and wait. Thats all i can do

JKsocr4

I couldn't ask for better advice from fellow hobby'ers. Thank you all for your time and words, I know the things i should do. But for now im going to let things take their own beginning and i will keep you all posted for future revelations and or problems.

**ALL OF YOU ARE ANGELS OF THE SEA!!!**

Sorry if I didnt give you all the info you need to help as I am also not up to the lingo you all have but I will do my home work. Thanks again
~Jen

Last edited:

ste

we all had to learn but you are at the right place to further your knowledge
a skimmer is the most important component it filters out the waste before it has time to breakdown in your water leaving your filter to deal with less mess
If i were you I'd do a search on skimmers on this site read about them and decide which you think is best for your set up :D

Curtswearing

A skimmer (or protein skimmer) removes Dissolved Organic Compounds. Here's a great link on them Here

I got this link out of our research library. You can click on the link in my signature to get there or look to the bottom of the forums page.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Welcome to the board Jen great to have ya aboard. Your getting lots of good advice above and letting it sit and cycle properly is the best thing you can do, if you have pulled the damsels, do as wit mentioned and toss a peice of shrimp in.
Their could be a number of different things that caused the deaths and ammonia poisening is also one, remember ammonia comes in other forms beyond what we test for. the most likely contributor was spongs in the LR, as they crooke they release all sorts of lovely toxinMike

EdgeKrusher

WELCOME JKsocr4! You've come to the right place. All the advice you've gotten so far is excellent. Just wait, you thought loosing the fish was fun, wait until you have a cyano or algae break out. talk about stress!!! But thanks to this forum and the people here my tank made it through.

Peace

EK

P.S. I do not have any cyano in my tank anymore, Yay! :D :)

jks1

First Welcome. One of the great things about this hobby is that you will NEVER stop learning. I am thinking that in 2 days you may not have fully gotten into the cycle yet, which would explain the lack of Ammonia. What type of water are you using? As mentioned above i would highly recommend researching and investing in a good protein skimmer. Patience is the key, just relax, watch tthe tank and read everything you can and things will work out. Dont hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

ReefLady

Staff member
It's possible that the fish lived through the ammonia spike and then were killed by the nitrite spike... that has happened to me before. Would still be new tank syndrome.

Nick, 2 days wouldn't be ridiculous to start seeing a nitrite spike if the tank was seeded with LR.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help solve the mystery. :)

I read thru all the posts fairly fast, but I never saw anything mentioned about the specific gravity (Salinity) of your tank.
Have you measured it? What is it?

sarah

:( hi, sorry to here about your loss. im new to sw fish keeping, ive had my tank cureing for 11 weeks still no fish but started to put in tube worms, mushrooms and polyps at 5 weeks, andsoft corals,shrimps,crabs at 8 weeks. iam now on week 11 and just put in a sand shifter starfish next week im adding a couple of fish everything is going great and growing......
sarah

Curtswearing

Sarah,

I feel this is a good topic for a lot of people to participate in so do me a favor please. Put up a brand new post in the "Just Starting Out" forum and list the size of your tank, what type of filtration you have, your tank parameters (Ca, Alk, Specific Gravity, whether it is Fish only or Fish Only with Live Rock, etc.).

It sounds like you are following the reefkeepers mantra.....nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank.

JKsocr4

well im back and bought a skimmer but it is extremely loud and sounds as if it cant get out all the air bubbles? Is it suppost to be so loud?

Its a Via Aqua Multi skimmer

Maxx

Originally posted by Travis
It's possible that the fish lived through the ammonia spike and then were killed by the nitrite spike... that has happened to me before. Would still be new tank syndrome.

Nick, 2 days wouldn't be ridiculous to start seeing a nitrite spike if the tank was seeded with LR.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to help solve the mystery. :)
Travis....I didnt take it as argumentative at all.....to be honest I havent cycled a tank using live rock before so I was using past experiance as a guide.....if you seriously think that ammonia can be transfered to nitrite in 2 days, I have to believe you. None of the other info seemed to match ammonia poisoning to me, so thats why I was confused. I agree it could have been new tank syndrome w/ nitrite.......either way we can all figure it out. No blood, no foul :D
Nick

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Another question that needed to be asked was what kind of water are you using Tap, RO, DI?

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
On the plus side you won't be asking "How do I remove my three damsels from my tank?" in 3 months time :)