I don't want no trouble you 2!

Adam Black

Never had 2 corals grow into each other like this. Will this be a problem?
Isthisgoingtobetrouble.jpg

lcstorc

I would be paranoid and move the one. I have just read too much about coral warfare. It may be fine but I am a paranoid person.

cbrownfish

Typically, they will call a truce and stop growing toward each other. There is the possibility that one will kill the other. Corals competing for real estate is bound to happen as a tank grows in. The encrusting blue polyped coral looks to be an agressive grower and will likely win if the battle for turf.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Time for a move if this is in my tank. Not willing to risk it and (At least in my expeirence) I rarely see a Truce. It's WAR I tell ya!!

LPS_Blasto

The encrusting one will encrust right over the base of the other. That will choke out the taller one and it will die. Move it.

:jumprope:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The encrusting one will encrust right over the base of the other. That will choke out the taller one and it will die. Move it.

:jumprope:

My experience is that the Acro will beat the Montipora. You do make a good point since the Acro really hasn't developed a good base yet so let the battle continue...lol

funkpolice

I have a very sick lobo now that I let it spar with some mushrooms. I thought the lobo would kill off a few shrooms and that would be it, but one morning I found that a dime sized area of the lobo was bare skeleton, and now the whole coral looks to be bleaching. I know it's probably different with sps, but I would move one of them.
bill

trippkid

My experience is that the Acro will beat the Montipora. You do make a good point since the Acro really hasn't developed a good base yet so let the battle continue...lol
+1 with that advice, I'd say 95% of the time the Acro will beat out the Montipora and continue to grow, the Monti will stop growing in that area or grow a new direction. What did you end up doing, did you move it or not?
Matt

Adam Black

+1 with that advice, I'd say 95% of the time the Acro will beat out the Montipora and continue to grow, the Monti will stop growing in that area or grow a new direction. What did you end up doing, did you move it or not?
Matt

I let them do there thing. The Monti is still growing. Here's a few pics taken today.
Picture009.jpg

I don't know guys. Who's going to win? Taking bets now.:bouncer:

Last edited:

trippkid

I say they both win from the looks of the pic. Looks to me like the Monti knows the Acro is there and growing in a slightly different direction. It may over time try to choke it out of light, seem to be growing faster than the Acro at the moment, time will tell. I have one particular Monti that seems to be my most dominant coral, it will and does kill just about any other SPS it touches, mushrooms are about the only thing in my tank that it won't kill.
Good job by the way, very nice growth so far, keep it up.
Matt

Reefer334

Very cool!!!
The Acro will sting the monti eventually.
I have an A. Formosa that is mowing over a LE Flower Petal Monti Cap.