I COMMAND Thee: Split!

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
Well tonight I finally pulled the last straw. I came home and the rose was affectionately embracing my entire purple monster. I almost lost this frag and was down to only 4 polyps and now it is grown out to 2 inches. Anyhow the tips of a couple branches are white with death.

A week or so I talked to Mike aka Mojo about using a piece of acrylic placed against the mouth to irritate the anemone into a split. He says he has done it with some success. So tonight I teased the anemone down into the rock, and there were so many tentacles I could not find the mouth. So with some prodding I think I sort of found it. I cut a piece of ice cream pale lid into a long rectangle so I could get in under the rock and placed it there. Since the thinnest piece of acrylic i had is 1/4"

Anyhow Mike, tell me now, how long did it take your critter to split and did they move apart? How could you tell with all the tentacles? As 18" anemome compressed down into about 4" leaves a lot of tentacles in one spot!

So anyhow, no need to flame but if this works I will be happy and I will have a clone for sale! If not, i will just add it to the list of things I have tried and not worked to get a split!

Pro_builder

hope that everything turns out for the best. I have never heard of this method of making an Anenome split, but sounds like it should work. :confused:

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
Strike 1, he moved around the piece of plastic and is now laying against it. i will try to reposition again tomorrow as I will not be home today while the lights are on.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
LOL and the battle continues. the idea is to put the edge parallel to the mouth. with a bit of weight but not as much to hurt it. It can take a day or so. I have always had luck with this method. Maybe your anenome just aint into splitting. keep trying and let it go for a dya or so.

Mike