I am going to LFS this weekend

canes17

Hi I am going to the LFS this weekend to purchase some corals. I wanted to start off with some easy to take care of Corals like Xenia. Does anyone know any other corals that are easy to take care of and multiply throughout the tank

Tarasco

Mushrooms and various leathers are pretty much the easiest to take care of. Xenia can be somewhat touchy, so don't be completely discouraged if they don't work out.

corvettephreek

yea can you bring back a finger leather, and a 12 pack of corona? oh- dont forget limes :) can leather corals multiply, or do you have to cut a part of its body off?

Brucey

canes17 said:
any other corals that are easy to take care of and multiply throughout the tank

Take care young jedi . . . . we all want corals when we first start off that multiply throughout the tank, and then spend the next few years cursing them. Personally, I would stay clear of Xenia. They can turn into somewhat of a pest coral.

Any Leather would be a good choice. Easy to keep and yes, they require manual propergation to get them to multiply

Brucey

Gina

RS STAFF
Mushrooms are a good beginner coral.
Let us know what you come home with.

Tarasco

corvettephreek said:
can leather corals multiply, or do you have to cut a part of its body off?

I had a devil's hand that was constantly dropping little buds. They would get caught in the current, and quickly attach to whatever live rock was nearby. It was practically taking over the tank, and started waging a chemical war that wiped out a majority of my mushrooms. I thought it was cool at first, cuz I would stick the little pieces to small live rock and sell it to the LFS, but if I wasn't watching it closely, it just went nuts. I ended up taking it all out.

Little Luey

I do not mean to intrude your thread but...
Do mushrooms and leathers need a lot of light?
I only have 260w. from a pc fixture, will this be ok?

KimPossible

How about yellow polyps, button polyps and zoas. IME, keep them on separate rocks. The will multiply and then compete for space. They are real nice looking as a rainbow rock.....but...noooooo..... eventually there will be a looser in the game of life or you'll have to weed them out.

My buttons are the ones being crowded out with the yellow's in a full growth spurt.

Tarasco

Little Luey said:
I do not mean to intrude your thread but...
Do mushrooms and leathers need a lot of light?
I only have 260w. from a pc fixture, will this be ok?
They generally don't need a lot of light. Typically, if your tank is 24 inches tall or less, this is probably fine. But more tank specifications would get you a better answer.