HELP! I’m new and a lil confused

Alicia Mehring

I have a sand sifting starfish and I’m wondering why my aquarium supply store near my house doesn’t sell small mussels/clams etc. as live feed since my starfish is supposed to be eating that along with other stuff like urchins? And it sort of looks like it is skinny? Idk am i just being paranoid? :confuseded:

DaveK

You have a couple of problems here.

The LFS should have never sold you a sand sifting star.

Sand sifting stars are extremely difficult to keep alive. They require well established tanks with a lot of sand for them to sift. This translates into a very large tank, with a lot of areas of open sand bed.

You best option is to return the sand sifting star to you LFS. Since they burrow in, you will seldon see them anyway.

I realize that this is likely to be something you don't want to hear, but it really is you best choice. There are just some animals that should just be left in the ocean or should be kept only by the most experienced people.

Alicia Mehring

You have a couple of problems here.

The LFS should have never sold you a sand sifting star.

Sand sifting stars are extremely difficult to keep alive. They require well established tanks with a lot of sand for them to sift. This translates into a very large tank, with a lot of areas of open sand bed.

You best option is to return the sand sifting star to you LFS. Since they burrow in, you will seldon see them anyway.

I realize that this is likely to be something you don't want to hear, but it really is you best choice. There are just some animals that should just be left in the ocean or should be kept only by the most experienced people.

thank you for your help. Yes i definitely wish i could keep my starfish, but my wife discussed it and i will be taking it back by the end of the week.