Hypothermia - Reef keeping - 911

Playa

Round 2 of stupidity

I have not really moved any live rock in my reef in many weeks(I added a rock 3 weeks ago). I got 3 new corals on wednesday. last might I decided to find the best place for them to grow. I started at about 5:00 p.m.

At 9:30 p.m. I was still making moves and by now I was feeling a little nausea and I was feeling cold. I felt like I could not think straight there for a moment. I thought since I was pretty happy with my work, I could finish a little later or maybe I try to finish tomorrow.

Went to my computer and tried to read threads on RC and RS and I felt encreasingly cold. I am by now literally shaking. AC is turned off, wet sucks are off and I quickly turn to my bed to cover myself with 2 blankets and the conforter. In vain I kept rubbing my frozen hands and feet and I could play a tune with my teeth. I felt my temperature rise, since my head felt on fire. My bones started to ache and I felt just as cold as 30 minutes earlier.

At this time I started to think on who I could call that could tell me if I need it to go to the emergency room or to take different measures. My head not thinking very clear just decided to wait for my wife to arrive from work. She is home a few minutes later, thank God(time was passing by so slow while I felt I was inside an Igloo).

She took my temperature and it registered 101, did this 3 times to make sure the thermometer was in working order. We have no gloves here in Florida, so she gave me a pair of socks for my hands and 2 pairs for my feet, a sweater and a jacket. Moving was painful.

After a bowl of hot soup, 2 Ibuprofens, more blankets, some carbos and some tender loving care I started getting warmer and regaining energy and desire to think.

It was not a fun episode.

What caused this? possibly a combination of several things. Wetness from having my right arm under water for so many hours, my feet being wet and stand on the cold tyle at times, no breakfast, no lunch, a little snack(junk), a history of Bronquitis, mild case of Asthma and Sinusitis in the last 2 months(taking antibiotics up until last week).

Today at work I felt misserable all day, I feel a little better now:)

Just a little story that might help someone some day:)

Luis

Maxx

This doesnt sound like hypothermia Luis. You wouldnt feel nausea from hypothermia. Its likely you have a cold or the flu and you are suffering from hot/cold spells....might want to see the Dr in the morning.
Nick

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I agree, Nick. Playa, with everything you had going on (the bronchitis, sinusitis, mild asthma) I would give your Dr. a call at least.

Playa

Thanx guys. I am actually under medication still, stop with antibiotics, but still taking singulair and using Nasacort. I was on Antibiotics for 30 days(2 horse size pills in the a.m. and 2 in the p.m.)

This was not a normal cold body temperature, I was literally freezing to death. Numbness on the tip of my right thumb came back. My little finger and ring finger from my left have been numb since the Zoanthid meal and were more evident during this ordeal.

As far as nausea, maybe I used the wrong word Nick. I did not vomit, nore was I real close to do it. My stomach felt very bad and I could feel loss of energy at an alarming rate.

I actually painted a normal story here cause I did not want anyone to feel sorry for me, but it was a nasty situation last night(trust me)

Luis

Witfull

question is,,did you finish the tank?...or did your wife jump in and do it for ya?

sounds like you got a chill and your body was shivering to get warm...or you ate something bad. bad food will give you the chills and mild nausea....also that since you have been taking antibiotics, your system isnt totally able to digest food well.... try eating some yogurt...or got the drug store and get some Asidopholous.

reefshadow

You probably picked up a nasty virus somewhere, Luis, and mucking around in your tank didn't help. Keep up w/ the ibuprofen, LOTS of fluids and sleep. If you continue with a temp for more than 2 days or it spikes up really high get to your doc.

Good tip on the yogurt, Wit. Those antibiotics can do a number on the digestive system.

Hope you feel better soon!!!!!!!:)

-Becca:)

CAT

Were you wearing gloves when working in the tank for so long? If not, what type of corals were you handling? maybe one of them objected to being messed with... ;)

dgasmd

Playa:

This is a clear case of acropiritis. The inmediate remedy for it is to frag your nicest corals at once and ship them to me. There was a good study plubished recently in the American Journal of fragology that clearly shows the effects of the malady over time. Very interesting disease.:D :D Now, I am a doctor, so this is clearly my professional opinion.:D :D :D

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Luis, it may be something to take into consideration. Since your first bout with zoanthids, it could be possible that you are getting more sensitive to certain corals. Curt has scars on his arms from corals touching his skin. I wonder if your arms were in the tank water too long without protection? Just throwing out some thoughts.

LOL, Alberto!! Karma

Gina

RS STAFF
I would call the DR. this morning! Just to be sure.
I hope you feel better soon! Keep us posted!

nigle

Oi!

#$%$#%# NaH2O I WANTED TO SAY ZOANTHIDS!!!!!!!!!!! You beat me to the type, %#$^^$#, HA!

Actually if you do have Zoos and your hand/arm was in the tank that long you could have had a reaction, not to mention a 'saltwater' reaction, don't laugh, it DOES happen.

I was 'playing' around with my frist tank a 5 gal, and it had a very large 'seamat' zoo in it. I was 'aquascaping' for about an hour. After I was done I started to notice that my right arm, [the one that was in the tank for most of the time {and for about 10 minutes was holding the zoo off the rocks while I was playing with the rocks}] started to go numb, YES I GOT IT!!! I was numb for about a day afterwards and it was about a week after that I read about the neurotoxin. The only thing I could figure out was that I indeed did get it. There are other 'lesser' toxins that are in the tanks as we know, so if you were 'swimming' for as long as you were and were comming down with something too, that could have caused it.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Nigle, I only beat you to the type because I was reading your mind. :D Luis, I can't help but think this is related to what happened before. You maybe becoming sensitive to corals in your tank, which will increase with exposure. My suggestion is to start wearing gloves (shoulder length) when working in your tank. Sorry for being so serious, but I feel this is a serious matter. For those that are unaware of the palytoxin Nigle was refering, check out this thread: Reefkeeping Dangers

tankgirl

Luis, just saw this thread - Very Scarey stuff going on. I don't know much about hypothermia - know you can get it fairly easy diving. I hope you'll get a complete checkup. And talk to the doctor about this experience.
Have you been checked for diabetes? I think an insulin thing could maybe produce those symptoms, too. Especially since you hadn't eaten all day.
I looked up hypothermia and since you had a high temperature, I suspect that wasn't hypothermia? A low temperature seems to be the defining factor in hypothermia.

Please do see a doctor! Even if it was just from the bronchitis plus a virus, that's a very worrisome thing. I'm glad your wife came home when she did!

Last edited: