HW marinemix

Luukosian

Bought some HW-marinemix Reefer from BRS because it was on sale and suppose to be a good salt. Mixed up 15gal at 35ppt(1.026) and did a water change and had about a gallon left over. When I went to pour it in the sink it was like tea brown and brown residue all over the mixing container. Water looked clear when I put it in.......anyone else had this? Never had residue problems with Reef Crystals that I've used for years, mixed over night with a heater. Put some fresh carbon in the reactor just in case.

DaveK

I have used that salt, but not recently. I never had the problem you describe, bit it's quite possible that the salt formulation used now days is different.

You can also have salts reacting with other things in the mixing container. For example residue from a prior batch. Salts can also react while being mixed. I have often obtained a white residue from other "famous brands" of salt mixes. I have also seen a bacteria film build up in the mixing container, and giving results similar to what you describe, but not as bad.

Salt can also go bad on you. It should be free flowing and dry. If it's damp or clumped up, it's often past it's prime.

I don't think you have an actual problem, but new carbon isn't a bad idea.

pablomay28

HW Marine = white chalky residue
Reef Crystals = brown residue
Seachem Reef Salt = film on top of water
Red Sea Coral Pro = clear
Tropic Marin Pro Reef = clear
I got the same special from BRS and got 4 boxes. When done I will go to Red Sea Coral Pro.

Luukosian

Dave, I had just opened the bag before mixing this first batch up and had rinsed and wiped out the mixing container. There's like 60 reviews on BRS about how this salt has 0 residue compared to other salts which is what is throwing me off. It mixed for about 12 hours and I mixed it into cold water. Maybe the water was too cold or I added salt too fast?

Pablo what didn't you like about it, was it a white residue not brown like what I'm getting? I'm going to use up this box and maybe it was just a fluke......to be honest my coral all look great after the water change even with the residue in the bottom, it's just worrying.

DaveK

Maybe you did something wrong, but I have also seen where it'd often the salt. You just never know. It will be interesting to see how the next batch mixes up.

pablomay28

Dave, I had just opened the bag before mixing this first batch up and had rinsed and wiped out the mixing container. There's like 60 reviews on BRS about how this salt has 0 residue compared to other salts which is what is throwing me off. It mixed for about 12 hours and I mixed it into cold water. Maybe the water was too cold or I added salt too fast?

Pablo what didn't you like about it, was it a white residue not brown like what I'm getting? I'm going to use up this box and maybe it was just a fluke......to be honest my coral all look great after the water change even with the residue in the bottom, it's just worrying.
I got the white chalk like residue on my pump. I honestly got the salt because it was on sale. In my opinion it is overly priced. I made some videos on youtube testing other salts. Red sea coral pro did best. I might mix in some tropic marine to get the alk a bit lower

Last edited:

DaveK

... I made some videos on youtube testing other salts. ...

That's the whole problem with testing salts. You found the salt that seems to mix best and possibly give the closest readings to what is generally considered to be NSW.

The thing is that the only way you can really test a salt is to see how it actually works, long term, in keeping the live stock alive. Over the years there have been a lot salt test over the years, but I have yet to see on that I thought was actually valid.

I'd love to see someone actually do a long term test of the most commonly used salts out there. Only problem are that this would be extremely expensive, and you'd have almost ever salt manufacturer and hobbyist that had a favorite mad at you when their brand didn't win.

pablomay28

That's the whole problem with testing salts. You found the salt that seems to mix best and possibly give the closest readings to what is generally considered to be NSW.

The thing is that the only way you can really test a salt is to see how it actually works, long term, in keeping the live stock alive. Over the years there have been a lot salt test over the years, but I have yet to see on that I thought was actually valid.

I'd love to see someone actually do a long term test of the most commonly used salts out there. Only problem are that this would be extremely expensive, and you'd have almost ever salt manufacturer and hobbyist that had a favorite mad at you when their brand didn't win.

DaveK,
That is so true. The reason I did the test was because the inconsistencies in the salt I had been using for years. Any salt will do to be honest either you end up supplementing with additives via dosing or making larger water changes. I personally dose with BRS 2 part to keep my reef around 9dKH, 400-450 Cal. The salt I chose to stay with is one that is closer to what I keep my tank at. Being that RSCP has a dKH of around 12 means I will have to dose less since some will be replenished with my weekly water change and the rest by dosing.