Hurricane FRANCES

Playa

It hit me really hard today fellows when my wife described the conditions of the tank and how sorry she felt for me cause she knew how much it meant to me. Dang it Frances you POS!

Thanx again for the kind words.

Luis

Melev

For some reason, I thought FL was evacuated for the most part. I guess some people stayed home to weather the storm?

ReefLady

Staff member
Luis, I'm very sorry to hear of your losses. Here's to a speedy return to its glory that had so many in awe so many times.

T

jorsan

Melev,
Nobody forces you to leave your home even when its "mandatory"; the problem is that if you live in front of the ocean you will be hit by the storm maybe too hard to resist. They use to try you to leave your home in aeras that could be isolated after the storm and if that happens, you're on your own. In Miami they said that arround 250 thousand people were evacuated but just 6 thousand stay at the refugiums (normally schools) the rest are with family in areas that are not too close to the shore.

Melev

Thanks Jorsan. On the news they talked about mandatory curfews as well, and showed some people being arrested - probably for looting. I just pictured a ghost town. Well, a ghost town getting pounded by a storm.

As you can imagine, many of us simply can't relate until it happens to us. Like our famous Hail Storms here in the metroplex. We've been called the "hail capital of the world" before.

It would be nice if there was actually one spot on earth that didn't have a problem to contend with... :(

rookie

Luis, sorry about the bad news. The same happened to me, our power just came on at 10pm here in Tampa. we went 48 hrs w/o power and yes my tank too looked cloudy and the smell is horrible, It smell just like xenia when you frag them.... the hole room smells like it.... I must have done 4 water changes during that time and it still didn't help.... all sps dead... blue grilled angel dead and my 3 yr old daughters favorite fish (algae blenny dead too.) its hard dude, and my tank was no were near as nice as yours are, so I could only imagine what is going through your mind... But the bright side is our loved ones are ok and we could always rebuild....

jorsan

Melev, Impossible to find that "perfect place" because, everybody will whats to go there and after some time, will be "perfect place" no more; same problems as all the cities.
What we have is to be prepeared to deal with this situations. This could be the beguining of a new tread that deals with how to create the perfect conditions to keep our tanks alive when the conditions are adversal. Will be great to start something in deep about this question, with ideas of all of us; Im sure that after sometime we will find several options and each one could choose the correct one for their own situations or risks: earthquakes, tornados, huricanes, etc ; all this situations could ends with one, two, or maybe more days without power so we have to think VERY seriusly about this.

acroconut

Sorry for what you have gone through Luis, Rookie. Have some great corals here to frag.....even a few Tyree limited editions. Would be happy to send a few your way when the dust settles and you feel like getting your reefs back up and running. Very hard to be in that situation, and suffering that kind of loss. GLAD that you and yours were able to come through safe and sound.....THAT is what REALLY MATTERS!!!!!

Piero

ok...

Sorry for your loss Luis...as you said though, spending that much money on a tank and so many precious animals, living in hurricane country, leaving for the summer...... and not having a $300 generator? Such a terrible loss of life. I'm so sorry. Very tough lesson learned...:(

Last edited:

Dracunculus

My condolences Luis. Your tank was beautiful and I can't imagine what that loss must feel like. I only wish you the best for the future. I'm sure you cna build it back again even better than it was.,

Well into the 6th day without power:(
lost half my clams and most of my sps,not happy.
power just went on a half hour ago thank goodness!!!!

all my friends around here lost all they had in their tanks ,a big loss in this storm.

i wish all good things to those who were affected and hope they can start anew.......:)

Last edited:

jorsan

We have to open a new tread to help us to deal with this situations. All sugestions have to be hear. Sorry about all the losses; this time the hurracaine passes north of us.

dgasmd

Re: ok...

Originally posted by Piero
Sorry for your loss Luis...as you said though, spending that much money on a tank and so many precious animals, living in hurricane country, leaving for the summer...... and not having a $300 generator? Such a terrible loss of life. I'm so sorry. Very tough lesson learned...:(

I hate to sound like a d...k in a moment like this, but I have to second Piero here. The first thing I noticed when I moved to FL only 3 months ago was that the power flickers and goes out for a few minutes here and there from time to time when there is a pretty good storm (almost daily?). I can't possibly see anyone with a half serious tank in FL without some form of alternate power.

Last year when hurricane Isabel hit NC, VA, and MD, I had to get a power inverter at 1 AM and connect it to my car to run a couple of pumps and heater. It ran for hours until I found another solution to last me for the next 4 days until the power came back:eek: Not a single loss and I can tell you I had much more fish and corals in the 360g than you did in the 180g despite how tight it was.

You said that within a few hours only you had lost all fish and shrimp. I don't know what that tells you, but I can tell you what it tells me: your bioload in that tank was at the line of what it would support:rolleyes: I know you have been told this many times before and you get very defensive about it. It is your tank and you are free to do it however you want. This is one of the results though. There is another lesson for you to learn from this experience as costly as it is. You have to be self reliable to take care of the tank. You have said before many times that you don't wanna bother with doing or learning simple things like water changes, equipment maintenance, knowing how to troubleshoot things etc. because you rather stare at the tank. Well, this is the kind of thing you get as a result. If this was me, I can tell you I would be talking my wife through smoke signals from rural india if necessary on how to do whatever it needs to get done to get it going. I will venture to say most of us would do the same. Just consider this as food for thought: your entire reef tan could have been saved with 2-3 battery operated bubblers at $4 each.:eek: :eek:

I do feel very srry for the livestock lost. However, with enough money you will get them again from the same places. RM must be buying a round of beer for everyone at the party tonite:D :D

jorsan

dgasmd,
When you mention" I found another solution to last me for the next 4 days until the power came back Not a single loss" you mean the use of the air pumps?
How do you keep the temperature in control? dont know exactly where you are in Florida but in most part of the state, we always have the air conditioned runing at home and thats how some of us can keep temperature in our tanks under control without chillers.

dgasmd

I am in West Palm. My story refers to when I was living in MD and this was in the middle of summer by the way. The final solution was to run extension cords from a guy's house about 3 blocks from me. He had power. I found a small fan to hook up to that and run it over the tank. Ingenuity is the only real limitation here.

I know someone local that has been running a generator in a balcony of an apartment building to keep his tank running. The police has been called because he runs it at night too. This is all besides the point though.

spsluva

Playa,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss (and everyone else in Florida who is losing their tanks). You had a beautiful tank. I can kind of understand how you are feeling. If you remember, I lost my tank back in February. It really sucks the big one. Now it is time to chalk it up as a lesson learned and rebuild a better system with more redundancy and back-up in place. Ever since I lost my tank I have been researching, planning, and setting up my new system which is as bulletproof as I could make it. It hurts to lose all your livestock but it is also a lot of fun starting over fresh again. I'm sure you will be buying a generator for the next go around.;)

Just be thankful that you and your family are ok becaus they can't be replaced.

Good Luck

spsluva (aka "Travis" from RC)

ReefLady

Staff member
Ha ha spsluva, I took your name nanny boo boo! :)

In all seriousness though, the losses in Florida are terrible. It really hit home when I talked to Logical today. His store was located in Vero Beach, pretty much ground zero I think.

He and his family escaped to Georgia thankfully, but the livestock at his LFS was not so lucky. They lost everything but a tank of zo's, and he lost everything in his 240 at home as well. His LFS was just getting off the ground and wildly successful, imagine a blow not only to one's home aquarium but to their livelihood.

To end this on a positive note, let's just be glad Luis and Family, Bryan and family, and Rookie and family are all OK. In the end, that's what counts.

T