Hurricane FRANCES

sambot

Hey east coast. Having just gone through Charley here are some things to gather before the storm that helped me alot.
1>touch tone phone with cord. Even though the power was out for six days the phone line at my house still worked.
2>ice may be to late for this one
3>have a meeting place in the city to meet friends and family to be sure they are safe. most cell phones did not work for 4 or 5 days. make the time at least 4 hours after the last squalls to allow the crews to clear some of the main roads and for some of the rain and surge to drain off
4>simple air pump, air line and air stone. helped save my fish
5>manual can opener, no power no electric opener
6>buy tarps/tar paper before the storm you wont find them after
7>of course all the required things that make most of the lists like food/water/flashlights/batteries
8>dont use candles. to dangerous
9>keep generators outside away from open windows and doors. not in the garage with the door part open

our prayers are with all of you. let us know if we can do anything.

Sam

DarkDruid

Hey jorsan, an inverter is a device that changes 12 volt DC battery power to 120 volt ac house power. They have a hook up that goes to your car's battery, some have to be wired to the battery and the smaller ones can just be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Depending on the size, they usually have between one and two AC plugs.

To run a couple of pumps, a smaller 300 or 400 watt inverter should be enough. The cost is less than a small SPS frag even !

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/

Melev

Originally posted by sambot
Hey east coast. Having just gone through Charley here are some things to gather before the storm that helped me alot.
1>touch tone phone with cord. Even though the power was out for six days the phone line at my house still worked.
2>ice may be to late for this one
3>have a meeting place in the city to meet friends and family to be sure they are safe. most cell phones did not work for 4 or 5 days. make the time at least 4 hours after the last squalls to allow the crews to clear some of the main roads and for some of the rain and surge to drain off
4>simple air pump, air line and air stone. helped save my fish
5>manual can opener, no power no electric opener
6>buy tarps/tar paper before the storm you wont find them after
7>of course all the required things that make most of the lists like food/water/flashlights/batteries
8>dont use candles. to dangerous
9>keep generators outside away from open windows and doors. not in the garage with the door part open

our prayers are with all of you. let us know if we can do anything.

Sam

What great advice! I would not have thought of half of those suggestions.

Gina

RS STAFF
Good luck to everyone who is in the path of Frances! Our thoughts are with you today and tomorrow.

Playa

Just lost power a few minutes ago:-(

The storm is moving in very slow, I doubt power will be restored today.(crossing my fingers)

No Generator.

The eye still on the water but gusts of 90 mile an hour winds are present already.

I hope for the safety of all those in the forum with homes and families at risk.

Luis

Curtswearing

Yikes....my prayers are with all of you East Coaster members.

For those who lose power, remember that you will drastically improve gas exchange by simply taking a bucket of water out of your tank and dumping it back in. That will keep your dissolved Oxygen and pH up. If you have battery powered airpumps, this helps a lot too. You don't even have to buy the type made for aquariums. A lot of bait shops sell them to keep minnows alive in bait buckets.

Playa

No Power since 11:00 a.m. :-(

I think I will lose it all, the storm is moving at turtle pace and it would be nearly impossible for someone to get to my place to help any earlier than tomorrow at best. It is my fault and no one else. I dont deserve to own a reef I am afraid. At first I was thinking about rebuilding once I get back home, but I am pretty depressed right now and not sure of anything anymore.

I never thought it would happen to us(as far as a hurricane)and I had covered all angles except for this one.

I feel really bad because I had some coral pieces that seem to be irreplaceable, but most of all I feel bad for my fish:-(
I have called several friends in the area, but have not been able to get a hold of anyone.

Doing some serious thinking here in Jersey and fatally depressed to be honest!

I am going to hit the bottle.

I hope the rest of you in the area are doing a lot better than I

Luis

Playa

Brian your box is full, I was just trying to send you this message. Thanx for the other messages you sent me bro.

I know what you mean bro. I wish I was there myself:-( I am here with my stomaq churning.

Thanx a lof for even thinking about it Brian.

Luis

dianezoo

Luis,I have had you and others in my thoughts and prayers all day. Eveverytime I look at my tank or hear the news I'm keeping hope yours will be ok. Hang in there there is nothing more you can do but wait and see. Keeping hope alive.
Regards
Dianezoo

Gina

RS STAFF
Luis,
Keep a positive thought! I know it's easier to say than do but, don't loose faith yet. When are they going to let you back in? Did you drive to Jersey? If so, take plenty of water back with you. There will be a shortage there I'm sure. Wishing you the best! Keep us posted!

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
For Luis and others in Florida I hope all are safe this morning in Florida. Been watching the news since I got up.

Well power went out in Gainesville Florida for about an hour starting at 7:30 am. But its back on now.. all we saw were some gusts of wind here and there and a whole lot of rain. My family in West Palm Beach definately lost a lot more than power, fences, big trees, gone. From what we understand there isn't too much damage to our houses, so hopefully all is well.

I would like to state that I love my UPS by APC. The battery kicked right in. I am still having some issues with how long it will last since I can't find the formula as to how long an 800aV 540 watt that can hold 5 minutes at full load (540 watts), 17.6 at half load (270 watts), could power an airpump at 3 watts.

ivyvine1

Originally posted by Playa
No Power since 11:00 a.m. :-(

Doing some serious thinking here in Jersey and fatally depressed to be honest!

Luis ..... I tried to PM you. Did you get my message ???

I am now attending a "Survivors of Suicide" Support Group so I am VERY sensitive to comments like this. I could be over reacting BUT like I said ..... this is not the right time for me to read comments like this. I read your post yesterday and it has really bothered me.

PLEASE, we all are concerned and praying for you. You are not responsible for something of this magnitude ..... We all know you care very much for this hobby and the love you have for your tank.

PLEASE let us know how you are doing.
Irene