Hurricane FRANCES

ReefLady

Staff member
Growing up with my Dad in the Coast Guard, we were always in areas prone to hurricanes. After watching ones like this for many years, I can tell you there’s a definite possibility that it will take a sharp right and head up the coast. Lots of hurricanes get close enough to scare ya then the jet stream takes them up the East coast, usually harmlessly into cooler waters. I know I’m no meteorologist, but it’s still a little early to freak out IMO.

Best thing you can do right now is prepare. Get some water, mix a bunch of saltwater if possible, get some battery-operated air pumps, get all your receipts packed, and be prepared to get the heck out of dodge.

T.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I just spoke to my parents who live in Palm Bay, Fla. They are leaving tomorrow morning at 3:00 am to drive up and stay with me! I am so glad they decided to leave :D

jorsan

Si nos toca nos jodemos mi amigo. Really is scary!. Im in Miami for the last 5 years and when I saw Floyd in front of us in 1999 covering the hloe floirda coast I realize the magnitude of this monsters.
We have to start to think about buying a generator as a back up for our sistems; one of this storms could finish with all our effors (and money invested). Is stupid to spend thousands of dollars in our reefs and not spend less than a thousand in an "insurance".

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well there is something to be said about living in the mountains of Montana for sure except for forest fires which is what concerns us but been lucky this year with lots of rain..

Hope all you people who have reef tanks in Florida are prepared to deal with it and as mentioned worth the extra money to save what is so precious to you but a reef tank is not worth your lives if you cannot afford it and best to get the heck out of there and hope for the best.

Will be praying for all of you and hope it takes a right turn away from you and goes out to sea!

Also will be praying for those of you further up the coast.

proud2bcanadian

I wish you (Playa) and all other members who live or know anyone who lives in the Palm Beach area the best when the hurricane hits. We all hope you wont lose anything, but remember to put your lives before your fish :p (meant to be serious as well as somewhat humorous).

EDIT: I should say - *IF* the hurricane hits. Which I hope it doesn't. For your sake, and also for the sake of the millions who are just beginning to recover from the last hurricane.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Stupid hurricanes... :evileye:
I have a flight back home to Orlando on Friday at 9pm to see the family and pick up a few more prints.

And ofcourse the 'Canes are playing FSU this weekend. I hope the game doesn't get called!

Last edited:

jorsan

Just an update . . . .we're %$#@$^&&%$ !!!!!!!!!!! This monster is coming to us. I Hope all of us and our families here in Florida go thru this BIG issue without any harm.

mps9506

Been watching this one since last week. Monster hurricane. All we can do is hope for the best. Last year there was a monster Cat4 out there also, by the time it got off the NC coast it was barely a hurricane and missed us all togther. We can always hope for the best.
We are already seeing large swell come in from francine. I actually just got out of the water from surfing. Our buoy's are around 5-8 feet right now at 12 secs, this usually translates for good surf around here on the plus side. They are predicting 19-26 foot seas come Tuesday! That is the only plus side to all this.
But again like I posted in the other thread, I hope all are safe and stay safe. Put yourself before your equipment, if you gotta go you gotta go.
Mike

Playa

If the storm wipes me out, I will possibly start all over again, and mostly with frags and a few wild colonies. We will see what happens, but it does not look good now. They started with mandatory evacuations in some parts of Palm beach, only a few minutes away fom our place. My wife and family will stay at home and will seek shelter if needed. I am still hoping that the storm will just go a little north and stay in the ocean, but it does not look good and everyone at the Hurricane center does not see anything that can lesser the intensity of the storm.

I hope everyone is safe.

Luis

Tasslehoff

I grew up in Miami a long time ago. I went through Donna, Alma, Cleo, Betsy, Inez, Dora ......
Some of those are recorded as the worst in history and they were small compaired to what this one could become.

Anyone wonder why Tass lives in "THE MIDDLE OF THE US" Tennessee these days?

Best of luck to all of you and if it's time to run....don't hesitate!

Tass

Brucey

Good luck to you all in the path of this montser. Stay safe and keep them reefs running. Playa bud, you got a generator just to keep those essentials turning over
Brucey

pyxis

Hopefully everyone is safe, although we all know the potential hazards of hurricanes, I wish everyone and their families the best.

As soon as it passes, or dies down, I plan on goin down to help out with some reconstruction. Being from NC, we too have had our share of bruisers.

Good luck to all. if any of you have a program called teamspeak. www.teamspeak.org you can download the client version. Located there is a channel knowwn as orlando Hurricane advisor. Click under quick connect, under connections and

Put this in the server name:

radio.scannerbuff.net:8767

This server will give any related info, that you will not hear about from local PD, weather people or orginazations. this server is from everyday people like you and me. It was broadcasted during the last hurricane that went thru @2 weeks ago. I will be on there as well monitoring the channel under this name : Pyxis. If you have a mic, and need to get emergency related info out to people this is a good way to broadcast when phones and cell towers are down.

Once again good luck

DarkDruid

One thing that will help alot if you loose power and is alot cheaper than a generator, in an AC inverter. You can get them up to and over 1000 watts. For most short time needs(a few days) all you need is running your pumps and heaters if it's cold weather. SO a few hundred watts will do for most people. The bigger inverters need to be hardwired into your vehicles electrical system, but the smaller ones can just be plugged into the car's cigarette lighter. All you do is turn the inverter on, run an extension cord from the house and you're up and running. Just start the car every few hours to make sure you don't run the battery down and you can keep a tank going with no major problems.

jorsan

Darkdruid, I dont know nothing about electricity and less about ac inverters BUT yours is a great idea. Could you elavorate more and maybe redirect me to a more deeper information in a website page? options of ivnerters that you consider apropiate for moving for example 2 circulation pumps abd one return one?Thanks

Be safe guys, best wishes to all of your families, homes, and reefs.

We'll be saying a little prayers for your tank Playa [and others] ... and a big ones for you and your families. Best of luck!