Humidity

BoomerD

Does everyone fight humidity in their houses, or is it just me?
It's like being in a stinkin rain forest sometimes. Condensation on all the windows & patio doors, have to fight mildew in the window sills/casings constantly. My wife is getting pretty P.O'd about it. Time for a De-humidifier?

By the way, I'm only running a 90 & 40 with sumps, and a 20 Q.T.
I can't imagine how bad it will get once I get the 180 going!

ste

yeah i have a bad problem with humidity not long had a de-humidifier and it seems to be clearing it up for me at last cannot plumb a drain in though so have to empty it everyday. but at least my room is drying out might even be able to redecorate soon:D

mwrager

To dry here in AZ, but when it rains outside i do get condensation on all the windows, i have been thinking about getting a de-humidifier for that problem

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Occasionally it does get humid in my room (where my 50 is) its only like a 10x10 square room, but all I usually have to do is open the window for a few minutes and all is good for the rest of the day.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have a serious humidity problem in my house but usually just during the winter time when everything is shut have never had a dehumidifier so I don't know if it would help.

Brucey

Boomer, Hi mate. I had similar problems. Firstley, we now keep the doors closed to the room holding the tanks. There is a window at one end of my tank so I turned my Fans around so they all now point lengthways down the tank. I bought a humidty controlled Extractor Fan (£60 .... about $90 I think), which cuts in and out depending on the humidity venting from the tank. So basically, it's on the whole time the MH are on and then off at night so you could do it with a timer too. I guess you could do the same with an outside wall of a house but just with more work. Oh, and by the way, I got a glazing company to cut the whole in the glass for £10 ...... The problem has compleyely gone away and I was getting 7 Litres of Evap a day.
Brucey

ste

hi brucey just wondering where you got the fan is it a standard bathroom fan or completely different I'd like to install one thanks in advance :D

Brucey

Just a standard bathroom Fan .... runs about 25Watts so just like a low power lightbulb on all day ..... I got it from a DIY store here in the UK but it probably doesn't exist in the US .... The DIY store is the biggest chain in the UK though so might mail order. Name = B&Q

Brucey

Where you at Ste .... Chapel-en-le-frith ..... Sounds Scottish
I'm in Reading / Just off the M4, West London

BoomerD

Thanks for the input folks. I had considered a bathroom fan in my fish room, but may just get a good dehumidifier instead. We'll see.

ste

i'm at the centre of the peak district where buxton mineral water comes from about 20 mile away from stockport

wooddood

the wood dude
have'nt had that problem so far.but im in the process of building a new house with a fish room that will house 3 tanks, a 120,a 55 and a 35 and installed a cheap bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling and think it will work fine.

Flipper

Sturgeon General
Originally posted by BoomerD
I had considered a bathroom fan in my fish room, but may just get a good dehumidifier instead.

Keep in mind that, if a bathroom fan work nearly as effectively as a dehumidifier, it will be far more cost effective than the latter. A dehumidifier is essentially an air conditioner, and thus, an electricity hog. Your electric bill is probably higher than you care for already.