how to tell if coral is past the point of no return

75reef

An update on my finger leather - It is still shrinking and it is now breaking away from the rock it was attached to. All my other corals are still doing perfect. My water chemistry is text book perfect.

The one thing I did notice is that my salinity is very low - about 0.018. I though I had the measurements down to a science and then never really checked it for awhile. Goes to show you should never assume. I am slowely bringing it up over the next few days. - Still didn't effect anything else.

Is it past the point of trying to save as a whole? Should I try to frag it quick?

75reef

do you think raising it will bring it back to health? I'm very tempted to start fragging it to have better chance that some of it will survive than the whole thing maybe dying.

BEELZEBOB

dont frag the poor thing leave it alone.

if it still has any chance, cutting it into lil pieces isnt going to improve the situation.

your gonna want to go from your current SG to marine (1.026) very slowly.

going too fast will strees the inverts, and kill the bacteria

id say if you start today, you'd want to reach 1.026 by august 6th (2 weeks)

Octoman

your gonna want to go from your current SG to marine (1.026) very slowly.

going too fast will strees the inverts, and kill the bacteria

To raise it slowly, you can add saltwater instead of fresh for your top-off until you get to the desired level.

75reef

I will raise it slowly. how do the finger leathers look if they actually start dying? If it gets to that point, I would definitely want to try to frag.

BEELZEBOB

I will raise it slowly. how do the finger leathers look if they actually start dying? If it gets to that point, I would definitely want to try to frag.

it literally will start turnig to goo.

brown nasty, stringy goo. and in that state, cutting it into lil pieces wont change a thing. no maztter what, its in hyposalinity. fragging is not going to change that.

fragging doesnt help a coral. especially when its dying. its probably the last thing you'd want to do

75reef

ok, cool. I wasn't sure if the finger leather looked the same way as the other LPS corals I have seen. I guess I'll just wait it out.

Octoman

Leathers will sometimes shed mucus layers when they are stressed. If you see slime coming off of it, it doesn't necessarily mean it is dieing. Don't pull the slime off, just, provide some water flow to help the mucus slough off on its own.

If it is melting and turning black in places, then it is dieing.