How to Pesticide

Tasslehoff

It's spring and here come the bugs.
I'm concerned about how to use pesticide in the house with the reef tank. I've read that most pesticides are very potent against fish and corals. I could use a pro service or I could try and learn enough to DIY.

What do you do?

Thanx Tass

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I would shut off all the filters and skimmers etc...seal the tank as tightly as possible (saran wrap), as well as all the equpment, and have lots of fans ventilating the room the tank is in, for a couple of hours during and after you spray. Once your fairly sure the pesticide isn't air born any more...crank the tank back up.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have heard of people doing what reefrunner suggested. Some people rig up a hose to run to the outside for air. :)

Cougra

This past winter we had our place sprayed for ants. I covered the tank maing it as airtight as possible and still be able to leave a large gap above the water line for air that's already present, then covered the tanks with heavy blankets so that none of the residue could land on the plastic wrapping and I wouldn't have to worry about accidentally knocking residue into the tank while removing the seals.

I also left the lights off for the day so I didn't melt anyplastic or light anything on fire.

After the aloted time that we weren't allowed in the house went by, I opened all the windows (not a pleasent thing to do in winter!) to vent the place out for about 30 min and once the house was back up to temperature I checked to see how the tank faired. Nothing looked worse for wear and all the corals opeend up fully after I turned the lights back on.

Tasslehoff

Thank you all for the input. Sounds like the thing(s) to do.
I just "Aquired" a roll of pallet shrink from our warehouse.
Next I'll contact one of the bug companies and get their input.

Tass