How to level tank on slate floor?

Tarasco

I got the stand and canopy for my new 150 gallon tank (5 x 2 x 2), and where I want to put it on the floor, the floor consists of slate, 16" x 16", on a diagonal. As those of you with slate floors know, the slate is not always exactly even.

So I'm wondering about the best way to even it out. Obviously, something needs to go under the stand. My original thought was just to cut a piece of carpet and place it under the stand, but I don't know if this is enough. The slate isn't horrible there, but there are some irregularities in the floor.

I thought of some sort of foam, but I'm afraid that it'll just collapse over time. Maybe some sort of combination that includes plywood? What do you guys (and gals) think?

jhnrb

you did not say how the slate was installed (what is under it, between it, etc) if you are not concerned with the slate cracking or developing differential settlement under load, and if not much is needed to level, hardwood shimms as needed to level under the vertical support points of the cabinet. once satisfied, load up with tank and some water. if all is well, cut shimm tails flush with cabinet. naturally these thoughts are mine alone and not knowing type and capability of slate you have, cannot anticipate cracking of slate etc. fortunately I did not have slate, but, removed carpet, added a 1/8" shimm full length of rear cabinet, since the side walls of cabinet are solid wood no seams, the small gap is acceptable on the ends with front and rear full supported. i will still probably add a shim or two for safety though. if on the other hand all you have is some very minor irregularities in the floor and you do not need to elevate one end from the other a piece of carpet might just do (without pad of course). hope this helps just my thought.

Tarasco

Thanks for the ideas, but I don't think that there is that much of an irregularity on the floor. Defintely not enough where shims would be needed to make things level I think.

So since it's pretty minor, you think that carpet may be all that's necessary? Are you saying no pad because it will just collapse, or for some other reason?