How to Grow Coralline Algae in a Saltwater Aquarium

morrowss

It is coralline. Its no cyano. It is a bright pink and trust me ive looked before. This is the color of all my other coralline.
One of my tanks has half of the sand bed as crushed coral about 1/4 inch size and coralline covers those...i like the purple bottom

johnmaloney

when coralline was referred to as a "nuisance", the poster was probably referring to how it can block the view and require scraping to remove. It is one of the annoying aspects of coralline.

BTW I liked the Saints better when they lost a few games here and there. New Orleans is on notice. :)

I'm a bit confused on the lighting comments. In my tank the coraline algae seems to do better in shaded areas or verticle areas where it doesn't get full light. Many types of coraline thrive in shade.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I'm a bit confused on the lighting comments. In my tank the coraline algae seems to do better in shaded areas or verticle areas where it doesn't get full light. Many types of coraline thrive in shade.

You are right but the nice pink/purple most people want "no idea why pain to scrape" needs high light.

SecretAgent

Well, I posted this on another thread, but since it is being discussed here too...........

Why scrape it? Only reason I see to scrape the coralline off is on the viewable sides of a tank, like the sides and the front. Why do people scrape the back wall?

Ive got coralline growing on top of coralline on the back wall. It wont grow on the sides and front because it doesnt have a chance to from me using the mag float on it often.

I know some people like the look of a clean back wall, but why? All those hoses/power head cords and such showing....thats what is ugly for me to see when I see someones tank with cleaned up back walls. Sumps are used to hide equipment, no? Well, if you are going to go through all that trouble to hide stuff but not do anything to hide the rest of the ugliness, whats the point?

Personally, I wont tell you your tank looks good if I see cords and hoses and drain pipes and the like blaring at me when I look at the tank no matter what the scape looks like cause that stuff is an eye sore to see. Distracts from the beauty that may be in your tank.

I even allow the coralline to grow on PH so that it blends in the background. You cant even see two of my pumps in my tank because it is camouflaged by the coralline. The power head cords going up and over my tank wall is camo'ed by encrusting gorgs or coralline too, so it doesnt even look like I have any sort of equipment in tank.

The stuff isnt hard for me to clean. Sure it may take some time to clean it, but impossible? no, just takes a little effort to get it off, and even that isnt "work" if you drop whatever it is into a bucket of vinegar for a while before trying to clean it.

I think to many people are trying to take too many easy ways out in this hobby. Its starting to get more about whats easier than whats necessary. So you have to use a little elbow grease to get something done. Thats where a persons pride comes in. If youre proud of your tanks or just being part of the hobby in general, you wont mind that extra effort it takes to do a particular thing.

Heck, the shape of some people sumps makes me wonder what is going through their minds for it to be in such shape. A sump should look as good as the DT in my opinion. But many feel that it isnt important to clean the salt creep off stuff in the sump or clean the yuck off other things in there. I take as much pride in cleaning my sumps as I do my DT.

Ok, that did drift a little off topic, but one does lead to the other

=) jess sayin

DaveK

The stuff isnt hard for me to clean. Sure it may take some time to clean it, but impossible? no, just takes a little effort to get it off, and even that isnt "work" if you drop whatever it is into a bucket of vinegar for a while before trying to clean it.

I think to many people are trying to take too many easy ways out in this hobby. Its starting to get more about whats easier than whats necessary. So you have to use a little elbow grease to get something done. Thats where a persons pride comes in. If youre proud of your tanks or just being part of the hobby in general, you wont mind that extra effort it takes to do a particular thing.

I just can't agree with the above excerpt of your post. Coraline algae can be extremely difficult to get off of any surface that isn't flat. Notable problem areas are the insides siphon tubes, overflow grates, powerhead intake grates, overflow boxes and so on.

Coraline algae is also good at breaking off in large flakes and blocking something more of less critical, like pump intakes, or overflows.

I don't have any objection to coraline growing all over the non-viewing surfaces of the tank, or the rocks or even on the equipment, so long as water flow isn't blocked.

Once you have to get coraline off of those critical areas, you quickly learn that coraline is just another problem algae you have to deal with.

IMHO, it's almost as bad to deal with as cyano and green hair algae. At least those come off easily.

SecretAgent

Well, its never been a problem for me. I use razors on power heads and on my mag float. I just cleaned one today, a few minutes ago, and it wasnt any problem at all. I just cleaned a power head with coralline growing in grooves and that wasnt a problem. Most of it chips off and the stuff that doesnt, I let soak in vinegar for a while and use a brush on it and it comes right off.

In the 7 years I have had my tanks, not once have I ever dread having to do any cleaning or maintenance of any kind.....But thats just me. I guess I find what works and it doesnt make it a chore for me to have to do these things and Im just into it that much, I suppose

Ive cleaned many a thing with coralline on it, but I dont dislike the stuff because it grows on stuff I may not want it on. Its part of the whole saltwater thing I guess and I accept that it is there, even on things we may not want it on. But I have just never thought of it as being a nuisance