How to frag these babies?

Mebigloser

How to frag these babies?..Fragged..

I have two corals that I definitively need to frag or trade, they are taking up way too much room in my tank.

Here is the first one, how do you frag this baby?

Last edited:

Mebigloser

I did stick some rocks down at the base which the coral has attached, I have never fragged anything and really would like info.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Check out www.garf.org for info on fraggin softies. Basically, you just want to use a sharp razor and cleanly cut from the stalk. Grab some gel super glue and dry off a small piece of rock and dry the base of the frag. Then apply the glue and set it back in your tank where there is limited flow. There are other methods too, such as using bridal vail.
Oh yeah, and once you are done fragging, send some my way!!! (that is a mandatory step!)

wooddood

the wood dude
good one lucky:D ron they both look sweet good job bud.i also agree with luckyink go to the garf website they will give you step by step pics on just about any thing you would want to frag.good luck and keep us posted.

Gina

RS STAFF
Also, just to let you know...the xenia, you can place a piece of rock next to it and eventually it will attach to the rock. Xenia move around that way. Then you can place it somewhere else or sell/give it away if that is what you want. garf site is great for info/vidoe on fragging.

ScottT1980

Slice and dice is the norm for these corals. I have found that I can sometimes peel the xenia off the rock and then rubberband it to a rock. I have tried the wedding veil netting and my problem was bubble formation under the netting, causing a bit of decay on the coral.

As for the colt (at least it looks like a colt). Well, attaching them can be a bit tricky. I know some people use toothpicks and some use fishing line. To be honest, I have never had much success with attaching colts, although I have only attempted it two or three times. It might help to keep the colt frags in a low flow area to help them attach...

Good luck!

Take er easy
Scott T.

johnlewis

The Xenia is very simple to frag, cut it with a sharp razor at a branch or near a base and hold it to a rock with a rubber band or plastic tie wrap. Make sure there is no metal in the tie wrap. The softy is similar cut it with a razor at the branch, and tie on a rock. There is some good documentation put out by cosmic.

Mebigloser

Been doing some reading on colts, say fragging is a little hard. Anyone here successfully frag these? This guy is really huge.

Maxx

Teri has done it before...If I recall correctly she uses a zip tie/cable tie to fix/hold the frag to the rock until it attaches itself. Superglue does not work on softies. I would reccommend a sharp razor like others have suggested, a bowl to do all the fragging in, (discard the water used) and zip ties or a needle an thread pierced thru the bottom of the frag and tied to the rock you want it on. Good luck,
Nick

ReefLady

Staff member
Thanks Nick,

Yep - Plastic cable ties, aka zip ties. I've tried everything under the sun to get Colt coral to attach, and these are the only things that work.

I find with these, I can "snug" them down just enough so that the frag doesn't escape the rock, but they don't tend to squeeze/cut through the coral like a rubber band does.

Also, if you use a very sharp blade (new razor blade) to cut the coral, it will tend to produce less slime.

Also, as a side note, I tend to run carbon for 24 hours post-softy-fragging. ;)

Mebigloser

Well I finally frag the Xenia, everything went great. All the frags glued except one which I used a plastic tie.

Here's the pictures...

Mebigloser

Mommy after the fragging, could still frag her more... I had just moved her so she is a little upset. The colt I am still thinking about......

mnreefman

the only thing bad about fraging the colt is the slime... take it out make a few cuts and replace... it is real simple, real easy, and they are very hardy... go at errrrr.

wooddood

the wood dude
hey ron have'nt talked to you in a while how it been going?as far as the colt i would say yes just cut it at the branches and you may have to use the toothpick method to get it to hold to the new rock.good luck with him.i might have to buy a frag from you if your not selling all of them to specks.