how to frag pom pom xenias?

Kremlin

hi my pom pom xenias are going nuts and growing like a weed. anybody know how to frag/pull one head off the rock?

saltfan

Just snip it with stainless steel scissors or with a razor blade. then super glue (gel) or rubber band to a piece of rubble rock or frag plug.

Akshay

I jst dont get it .... how do u guys get them going nuts like that????
I have mine going steady, but no mad tank capture! (I think my gsp is upto that task..)
Anyways I wld really like my pulsing xenia to go mad too.... can you post ur tank & water quality specs pls.

lbiminiblue

I have mine going steady, but no mad tank capture! (I think my gsp is upto that task..)
Anyways I wld really like my pulsing xenia to go mad too.... can you post ur tank & water quality specs pls.

the same was true for me for soooooo long....any and all xenias i had died right away. Now, they're exploding and I trim them back fairly regularly.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
What else do you have in your tank as far as corals? Do you keep very clean water?

Kremlin

i do 20 gal water change weekly.
alk-7
salinity-1.025
nitrates-0
phosphates-0

I have LED lighting on my tank and have a skimmer. corals that are around the colonies are dendros, monti cap, rainbow monti, blue clove polyps, birds nest, and montipora digitata. They are between the middle and top of my tank. will post a pic soon

Akshay

No my water isn't this clean... its a 7 yr old system... alk 7, sal 1.024, nitrates 0-10 (spikes to 20-30 post a feeding), PO4-0.1 to 0.25 (on Salifert test kit), temp 26*c.

I have 3 types of xenia.... 2 of them are spreading, the third is not.

1. This one pulses and grows like a mat covering.. it is growing at a decent speed.
20131027_153522_zps703ced0c.jpg

2. This is a Blue Cespitularia and that is spreading too..
IMG-20131024-WA0014_zps6eec0a0c.jpg

3. And this is the culprit....it pulses, but no growth....it just grows as a stalk and as not spread so far.
The one time that it did spread, the mother colony died off & the one in the picture is one of it's baby shoots that's now grown.
20131027_153702_zpsbdfaaaac.jpg

Would really like this one to take off aswell...

Nightfall

My puling xenia fraq came with 2 stalks on it and one is twice as thick as the other and splits at top like its Siamese conjoined twins or something. Should I frag it (cut down middle and super glue (gel) it to a rock) and will cutting it hurt or kill either piece off? If I do cut it down middle how do I remove one of the pieces (middle one most likely) from its current stone base? Asking cause I have NEVER done this before. For the frag in my picture I paid $45.

Kremlin

It takes a lot to kill these guys. U could just split it down the middle, or cut the stalk off. A new one will grow back.