How to change the skimmer in rsm 130 D

mhago

Hello, I am new on this and Im sorry for my Brazilian English.....

I have a RSM 130D, it is working since Dec11, I have some corals (such as leather, hammer, mushroom) and they are going well. I have 3 ocellaris (two orange and one black) since January and they are all fine too. Last week I bought one pseudochromis purple, one donzel (Kupang) and one very small Yellow Tang (I know, I will have to change to RSM 250 and intend to that in less than one year).

Well, they are all going fine, but I noticed the amoniac increased from 0,05ppm to 0,2ppm. Nitrat increased also from 2 to 5 and Nitrit from 0,02 to 0,05 (ph is stable in 8,2 and I have a chiller keeping temperature in 26C).

I read a lot that Tunze 9002 is the best option and when I bought these other 3 fishes I realized that it would be good to buy a Tunze 9002.

I already did that and I bought the upgraded cup and media basket (Im waiting the mail).

My first question is: when I receive everything, I just need to change? Isnt there any impact on the fishes or corals? There is no problem?

My other question, please feel free to add any suggestion in my reef. I am learning.

Thank you very much!!!

locofish

You remove the stock skimmer and install the media basket with media already in place. after the basket is installed you proceed to install the skimmer and attach it to the media basket with the supplied magnets. Finally install the skimmer cup and plug the skimmer to perform the final tuning. The whole process shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. There should be in negative impact to corals and fish.

mhago

Thank you, Locofish. Just one additional question: do you think I have more fish than RSM130 capacity? tks again

locofish

I also have six fishes in my 130D (clown, pigmy angelfish, blenny, goby, wrasse and chromis) and have no problem with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If you added the last three fishes at the same time that should probably have caused the increase in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The levels should come down once the biological filter adapts to the new bioload.