How to capture a mantis in your aquarium

PIMPALA

Many many threads are created on reef forums all over the internet with the question:

"My fish and inverts keep disappearing, and I dont know why?"

then the inevitable "I hear a clicking/popping sound" and you will find bits and pieces of broken snail and hermit shells.

and then "So how do I get rid of this mantis shrimp thats in my tank?"

the most common questions, also bring up all the reasons, and ways to capture, and sometimes kill the pest. but wait!! Mantis shrimp arent "pests" by nature. They are just predators. They are some of the smartest, most cunning, and most interesting creatures on the planet. So dont flush him if you do remove him. Make a post on a local forum, or take him to a LFS, I guarantee someone will quickly take him off of your hands, possibly even buy him from you.

now... dont freak out just because you hear the dreaded "clicking" sound. its not always a mantis. if you SEE the mantis, then its a mantis. dont assume.

also, once you actually identify that it IS a mantis, dont freak out and automatically assume that its going to run out and smash the front panel of your aquarium, spilling all of your water on the floor. this is a very VERY uncommon occurrence, and only two species of smasher mantis (out of the over 500 species of total mantis known) even get large and powerful enough to smash glass. and even then, there is pretty much a ZERO % chance that either of them hitchhiked into your aquarium in a piece of live rock.

now that you know you have a mantis, and you are positive that you want him removed from your tank, lets talk about getting him out.

The most common trap is the bottle trap. (search for threads, there are hundreds of them explaing the build, and showing pictures of how to do it) This is constructed out of a 2 liter bottle, with the neck cut off, flipped over, then re-inserted into the bottle. place food inside (like raw shrimp or fish, etc) then wait for the mantis to get hungry. dont put anything else into the tank (like new inverts, etc) while waiting. might take lights being off, or a day or two for him to get hungry enough to go into the bottle. you may also catch several other of your critters while waiting, but once he is in there, get the bottle out ASAP, because mantis are VERY smart.

lots of other trap ideas have been used, and successful. the bottle trap is simply the most common. that doesnt mean it will work for you, so dont give up!

second (and possibly easier) solution would be to locate what rock the mantis is living in, and remove it. if you cant locate the rock... then its time to start tearing the aquarium down, rock by rock. I suggest holding a net under the rock as you pull it from the tank, as the mantis will sometimes attempt to jump back into the water, but if you have a net under it, its right where you want it!

if you have a fish only system, and just want to eradicate the mantis, then dosing copper will quickly kill it (but not harm your fish). DO NOT ADD COPPER TO A REEF TANK.

Hope this all helps, and happy hunting!

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good stuff man.. we are lucky to have you.

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

PIMPALA

Thanks guys! Hopefully this will help some people out, and maybe even save a few mantis lives!

Built347

That's a crazy video... I posted that a couple weeks ago in the mantis section... wildist thing I've seen EVER!! lol.. that Guy is nuts

ChrisY

I cant be sure, but it looked like a spearer also. no thanks. not putting my fingers in front of that with food there. :)

Built347

I thought it was a spearer too.. with those giant chicken wing arms... Jason said Smasher tho. I thought he did... ???

PIMPALA

I did? hell, not sure what I was thinking. Zebras are spearers.

I might have been thinking about another video. there are several on youtube of numbskulls picking up mantis.

NuniPio

ok.. I am 90% sure I have one of these in my display tank... once i get him out do you think I should put in my refugium/sump?

dmatt88

If u have one n not a pistol catch that dude n set up his own tank!

,......im Matt n i support this message

Built347

yes!! stick him in the sump until you can get him his own tank!

It is well worth it... mantis's are sooo cool... everybody that comes over to my house wants to see the mantis... screw the giant reef tank... lol..

I'm Devon and today I hate cats

tnwillia

Give him a hole to crawl into. Use a piece of PVC bigger than his size about 3" long or longer than he is, put some black screen cover over one end with a rubberband to hold it in place. Add a small piece of scallop or deli shrimp to get him interested on the screen end, once he's in, block the open end and move him out. I've done this several times, fun to watch him find a way to the food, which won't talk long at all. These guys are super smart! Have fun!