How should I add Copepods and Amphipods?

So I have decided to kick start the population of copepods and amphipods in my 3-4 month tank. I currently have 90gal Display tank with a population of snails and hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1 strawberry crab, 1 fighting conch, 1 blood fire shrimp, 1 skunk cleaner shrimp, 1 fancy banded serpent star, 2 pink skunk clowns, and 2 percula clowns. Just this week I have reached a 0 nitrate/ 0 phosphate level. I would like to introduce some copepods and amphipods. I have a nice sump set up with a refugium. The refugium has a 7" sandbed. The flow through the refugium is slow to stagnant near the sand with most of the flow staying close to the surface. I observed this by watching some free floating chaeto strands moving about. The refugium is on an opposite schedule for lighting as the the display tank.
Refugium.jpg
I have customized the outlet of my skimmer to dump into the refugium. It dumps the water into a small clear overflow container so that the sand is not disturbs the water flows through a ball of chaeto then exits the clear overflow box and the water moves accros the top of the refugium into the return chamber were it is then pumped back up into the dislpay tank.
Refugium 2.jpg
Near the partition between the refugium I have set up some live rock rubble against the glass and thrown some chaeto across the top of it to prevent too many of the copepods and amphipods from leaving the refugium too quickly.
refugium 3.jpg
All of this is the outcome of many modifications over the past few months. I am pleased with it, but would like some input from more experienced reefers on any modifications that would help render the refugium I have here as the greatest amphipod/copepod nursery ever created! :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just dump a few bags of copapods into the chaeto.

I'm Matt n I sometimes water my carpet.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
for pods and such to populate you need dirt, they are detritus eaters and your set up is still very new, in time it will get dirty and the pods will multiply, adding them now is a death sentence

I have had diatoms in my tank since the first month. I never got hair algae but the diatoms have been sticking around. Because I have such an outbreak of diatoms in my display tank I have been running the lights for only 4 hours a day

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Im not experienced or knowledgeable enough to know why you are referring to the sandbed. I thought it was good, lol
its just fine but its new, Matt is correct that they can eat diatoms but as yours are not reproducing enough I think they are limited by food, so adding a bag of pods would be pointless unless you can provide food

dmatt88

Ah keep those lights on normal cycle. Let algae take ahold. Its part of it. Can't b avoided. It gets yucky n then u add natures cleaners ie cuc. The lamp in ur fuge. Is it a shop light or something to direct the light? Get it dirty buddy.

The lamp in ur fuge. Is it a shop light or something to direct the light?

It is a light purchased at the local reef store when I bought my first batch of chaeto and asked how to keep it alive. I just threw away the box, but the bulb says "tcp#1P38165K, model 1P3816, 5100k, 120 v, 60hz, 16W, 0.270A"

no, should it? its kind of like a floodlamp which is why i didnt buy the shade as well, i figured it was like a built in lamp shade

dmatt88

no, should it? its kind of like a floodlamp which is why i didnt buy the shade as well, i figured it was like a built in lamp shade

Good question. I guess if ur chaeto grows then no. But mine grows like mad with the lamp shade. Let me know how it does. Thanks buddy.

But mine grows like mad with the lamp shade.

Mine does not grow like mad. WHat do you mean "like mad" I have had a softball size chunk in there for aout two weeks, It was kind of constricted where i originally had it in the overflow box to the left of the refugium(pictured above). I tore the ball in half yesterday and put the other half on the rocks on the other end of the refugium. I would say a little growth, but not like mad.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Mine does not grow like mad. WHat do you mean "like mad" I have had a softball size chunk in there for aout two weeks, It was kind of constricted where i originally had it in the overflow box to the left of the refugium(pictured above). I tore the ball in half yesterday and put the other half on the rocks on the other end of the refugium. I would say a little growth, but not like mad.
Its another mystery of reef tanks, some people have to sell/give it away, Ive never been able to grow it, to have any value in a tank it needs to be removed in order to export the nutrients it has absorbed, all I ever got was cyano,muck and aiptasia lol