how often do you clean skimmer?

polska

Just wanted to know how often do you clean your skimmer cup.
I have 125g tank with 15g sump and use euro reef cs6-2+ skimmer. I empty my cup about every two weeks. Is this enought or do I have to adjust it?

RanRoc

I empty mine and clean it about every 2-3 days. I think as long as the skimmate is dark, it's OK to empty.
-RY

jimeluiz

Every two or three days. It gets plenty gunked up in that time. I have never left it for a week - I'm thinking its efficiency would be greatly reduced with all that crap stuck to the walls of the cup.

Pro_builder

I clean my overflow colletion tank every week, and tear down the skimmer and clean it once a month. The overflow tank is 2 1/2 gallon.

Witfull

weekly, collection cup and riser...alot of gunk builds up on the inside just before the top....Red Sea berlin...its as easy to clean the whole tube as it is just the cup.

BoomerD

I empty my collection cups & clean them 2x per week. I tend to have fairly heavy bio-loads in my tanks, so the skimmers all work overtime. I find that if I go much longer that that, the goo builds up in the neck of the skimmer/cup, and teh effectiveness is greatly reduced.
For the record, my 90 has a Remora Pro with pre-filter/surface skimmer box, with a Mag 5 pump, my 40 has a Kent Marine Nautilus TE in a 10 gallon sump, and Mag 7 pump, my 20 gallon QT has a CPR Bak-Pak2 (with bio-bale) running on a Maxi-Jet 1200, and I have another Remora Pro with Rio 1400 doing duty on my live rock curing barrel.

Hooked

I clean the cup on my Turboflotor almost daily. Seems like it isn't as efficient when it gets buildup in the tube. And I just love the smell of skimmate :D

I have a Remora on my 46 gal. I clean it a couple of times a week. Seems like it works fine even when its dirty.

addict

Once a week here too. Like Hooked said, the skimmer doesn't perform as well once the throat gets gunked up.

ScottT1980

My skimmer drains into a bucket so as far as skimmate is concerned, I guess the answer is every second of every day. In regards to my skimmer's "inards," I do it every couple of months. If I had more SPS, I would probably keep it clean a little more often (or just get a better skimmer).

Take er easy
Scott T.

ste

i have a Turboflotor and clean the cup and tube every other day and the whole thing once a month:)

dgasmd

When I ahd a hose attached to the faucet outside, I would clean the entire thing every 3 days or so since it was easy to do quicly. Now, since it is cold and the faucet outside is completely fraozen, I do it about every 7-10 days. Sometimes less.