How much would you pay for my set-up?

new reefer 03

I'm sad to sell it but, I dont take good care of my aquarium anymore, it takes up space, and i could use some extra money to put into my new truck. how much would you pay for my set-up? i'll be l isting it on craigslist soon, and im unsure on my asking price.

55g glass tank
stand
4x65W PC light fixture (one of the actinics doesnt want to turn on sometimes, either new bulb or new ballast?)
approx 100 lbs. of live sand
approx 80 lbs. of live rock
a few corals that are attached to the rock (all other livestock is moving to my dads tank)
Emperor 400
Super Skimmer 125
2- Koralis 3's
Maxi Jet 1200
a few 5 gallon jugs
random supplies like carbon, food, tests, etc.

Whats a fair asking price?

Thanks!

PIMPALA

the market on used setups around here is kind of weak. You would be good to ask $400, and more than likely would end up taking $200-250. maybe $300.

Might be better off taking the LR to a LFS and try to get $2 a lb for it, then drain it, clean it up realy good, and try to sell the rest for $300obo and see what you can get. ( I see 55 on CL around here for sale all the time for $100-150 with stand and accessories )

BigJay

i'd say your more likely to get about $150-$200 for it. Used 55g's are a dime a dozen and none of the equipment is high end enough to separate it from the pack. It can be area dependent though, so if your local area craiglist only has a handful of tanks you may get more or if it has more tanks you may get less. I would say asking $300-$350 would be ok, but if you need to get rid of it soon be prepared to sit on it.

REEFMAN1

Has been struck by the ban stick
I also would say around $150.00 You can but a complete 75 gallon from Elmers for $110.00. (tank, hood, lights, stand, filter, nets,) But that's not including the skimmer or the same filter. Most aquarium places on the internet sell NEW Emperior 400's for under $35.00.

But that depends whos buying at that time. You could ask $500.00 and get it. Someone at that time who's bidding might not know anything about aquariums and sees it and wants it.

Mike

Reddog170

If you would break it up you would get more than if you sold it together. I for one would be interested in the K3's. All together I would say you are not going to get much. Best of luck, Shaun

BigJay

here is a $400 (asking price) setup on CL here:

65 Gallon Oceanic Reef Ready Aquarium

I think thats a bit high too, but big difference in a predrilled. Just for comparison I bought my oceanic 90g that was less then 1 year old with all components(K4, sump , skimmer, additives, lighting) for $600. I even got the receipt where the guy had just bought all the components (if I remember right about $2800).
Not trying to be a negative nancy. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your sale. I've found when it's time for me to take a break in the hobby to sell the best components and just to give away the rest. The return is often not worth the time to try to sell the stuff. Petco just had a sale on the 55g's for $55. So figure the tank will be worth about $50. The rest of the components you can figure to get about 1/2 of what you paid if they are in excellent shape.

new reefer 03

Im in Edmond, pretty dissapointed that they go for so low right now. i might just keep it until prices go back up on them, if they do

seafansar

Yeah, I'm trying to sell some tanks too and I had to price them really low and still have only sold one. Market sucks right now. Good luck on the sale!

I think most of your money is in the live rocks, and maybe even in live sand. I live in Kentucky and there ALWAYS seem to be people willing to buy live rock/live sand because they don't want to pay the $7+ you will pay at any pet store. So break the tank up. Sell the live rock for about $2.50/lb and live sand for about $0.50/lb. And rocks with lots of corals attached could be sold for more. Then sell other components separately by listing them on here in selling section. You're much more likely to get a better price out of the lights, skimmer, Koralias, etc then you would if you sold it as a complete set-up. I would sell the tank/stand on craigslist for maybe $75 OBO. That way it can be purchased for saltwater or freshwater or even to house a lizard or turtle. Selling it as a full set-up limits you to only selling the tank to someone who wants it for saltwater. Breaking it down and selling separately opens up a larger market for the tank. And you'd get more money by selling it separately as opposed to all together.

DBrinson

I think most of your money is in the live rocks, and maybe even in live sand. I live in Kentucky and there ALWAYS seem to be people willing to buy live rock/live sand because they don't want to pay the $7+ you will pay at any pet store. So break the tank up. Sell the live rock for about $2.50/lb and live sand for about $0.50/lb. And rocks with lots of corals attached could be sold for more. Then sell other components separately by listing them on here in selling section. You're much more likely to get a better price out of the lights, skimmer, Koralias, etc then you would if you sold it as a complete set-up. I would sell the tank/stand on craigslist for maybe $75 OBO. That way it can be purchased for saltwater or freshwater or even to house a lizard or turtle. Selling it as a full set-up limits you to only selling the tank to someone who wants it for saltwater. Breaking it down and selling separately opens up a larger market for the tank. And you'd get more money by selling it separately as opposed to all together.

I totally agree with Cloudburst's analysis here.

approx 80 lbs. of live rock

That's your potential money maker. Many established tanks have red encrusted algae growth that would take a while to see if you buy live rock from a dealer.

Go look for well-developed algae growth in your LFS. (Hint: it's in the tank marked "rock not for sale")

Depending on what yours looks like, it may be worth considerably more than "fresh" rock, or rock moving through your LFS. If it's good, hang out in a LFS with a photo of your rock and ask around.

Identify the small corals and price them if you like, but keep a few with your rock, that the corals exist is proof your rock delivers. Sell the rest of the parts per Cloud's instructions above.

DBrinson

does anybody think that prices will go up with the economy?

They would if this were a "typical" industry.

Sadly, the lion's share of commerce in this industry involves aquarists who give up the hobby in less than a year's time.

So prices for quality goods may actually go up in a "sour" economy as the "not-so-serious" reef crowd dwindles, leaving the serious enthusiasts (who demand higher quality and are willing to pay higher prices) in control of the market.

The state of the U.S. economy aside, prices for live goods are more dependent on import restrictions and international government regulations than the state of the economy. As prices for live goods increase, the quality (and prices) of the equipment hobbyists use to protect their investments also increases.

A 55 gallon tank with a household flourescent light, painted coral skeletons, and old-school undergravel filters will likely increase in value when the economy is booming, as mildly interested individuals with money to burn think about entering the hobby.

But when disposable income in the US bottoms out, the serious reefers take over the market. Metal halide lighting systems, high-end skimmers, Calcium reactors, and premium pumps catch a lot more attention.

I live a few miles away from Dolphin, easily the creme de la creme among quality pumps manufactured in the U.S. They aren't lacking for business, to be sure. But I'll bet when the economy picks up, the lower-quality Mag Drives will absorb most of the new demand. Some "high end" manufacturers will adjust their product lines to cater to where the money is.

Look around for yourself, while bad economic times are here, see how the effects of a downturn on this community are unique.

I've never, ever seen this community as knowledgeable and informed as it is right now. (I've never even been able to stomach participation in a forum before now either, haha.)

new reefer 03

Thanks everybody,
i already had one guy interested in the koralias (assuming i decide to sell my tank) sorry. and DBrinson, thanks for all of the info!