How much weight can the back of a tank support?

Smoker

How do you determine how much hang-on weight the side of an aquarium can hold?
I'm concerned about refugiums and if my 20-long can hold 30 pounds plus a skimmer and filter. PetSmart brand.

DaveK

The skimmer and filter should not be an issue. A hang on refugium is too small to do much good, so there is no point in putting on on the tank. At those sizes it's more a "feel good" sort of thing.

Luukosian

In my opinion being able to have any section for macro(more than likely chaeto right?) is better than none. At those sizes it's kind of a judgement call on your part. If you think it's not going to hold then don't do it. I would imagine most of the weight goes on the brace and is downward force instead of force on the lip of the tank pushing out. That being said you're better safe than sorry if you think the weight is distributed in a way that will crack the tank.

Although I do agree with Dave somewhat in the fact that you will get pretty minimal nutrient export from a small refugium we are talking about a pretty small water volume as well. If you get chaeto to grow in there and are pulling it on a normal basis it's gotta be doing something. Water changes when you get below 55 gallons are pretty easy though so not sure I'd bother running a fuge.

DaveK

Won't the macro algae in the fuge help to decrease what's in the tank?

Yes, it does, but since the refugium is so small, the net effect is almost nothing. It would be like doing a water change and changing 1/2 a gal in a 50 gal tank. Even a large hang on the tank refugium only holds about 4 gal of water, and would be unlikely to fit on your tank. The bottom surface area is far smaller than even a 10 gal tank.

If I wanted a refugium on a 20 gal tank, I'd use something like a 10 gal tank, and make it a diy project. That's actually a lot more refugium than you need, but 10 gal tanks are cheep.

Snid

Not sure how much space you have, but one consideration when it comes to the Refugium might be to have an identical 20 gallon tank right next to it. Many people have Display Refugiums, which look almost as nice as the Display tank as a whole. Because they would be sharing the same water supply, you'd essentially have a 40 gallon tank. ;)

Creekview

Are you thinking of using a refugium as nutrient export (chaeto) primarily? I ran a 40 breeder for about 10 months with a HOB filter (aquaclear 110) converted to algae scrubber. I also run a small HOB scrubber conversion on my mantis tank. It's my belief you will benefit more from a scrubber than a HOB fuge. You'll also grow pods and such in the scrubber, free live food.

Smoker

The fuge is a CPR 2-1/2 gallon. I have oodles of computer and tank cords all over plus on the floor and I'm afraid if the tank would break. Why is it safe to hang all this stuff on the back wall of a tank? Are they made for this?

I plan to fill it with live rock, chaeto and maybe some mangroves. I hope to cultivate pods. Weekly water changes of 20%-30% do not reduce my nitrates now at 160. I think it must be Co2? Having a refugium will at least be a learning experience. It will increase the water volume 15%.

I am cramped for space. The stand is one of those steel ones with a shelf underneath for another tank. I put a nightstand there with makeshift shelves beside it to hold the zillions of chemicals I think I need. I have a 10 gal. or 20 gal. tall that could go there but I don't trust my plumbing ability - I haven't done it before., and there's wires/cords everywhere. This little room is my entertainment center and I'd be lost without it.

The DIY scrubbers seem like a lot of work. I considered getting a ready-made one that works inside the tank then opted for a good protein skimmer. I do so many water changes I shouldn't need either.

I appreciate your responses, but why is hanging crap on the back of a tank safe?

Creekview

Most of the weight of HOB devices is vertical load pressing down on the edge of the glass, which has very high compressive strength. The side or lateral loading of the glass is not enough to exceed the glass strength. Most HOB devices hug the back of the tank, again minimizing side loading. I'm sure the manufacturers take this into consideration when choosing the glass and thickness. Larger tanks use tempered glass on the bottom which is even stronger. If you want an engineering level explanation of glass loading and the Failure Prediction Models used in the glass industry, here's a little light reading. http://www.pdesolutions.com/reprint...d to Uniform or Non-uniform Lateral Loads.pdf