How much to disinfect?

thelastmucci

OK I have a question...I've read that the general rule of thumb for disinfecting a tank is to use vinegar. But I don't know what the ratio should be. I'm going to do a leak test soon and was going to run some vinegar though the setup to make it all nice and clean and what not. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
vinegar will dissolve a lot of calcium deposits and general muck, bleach will disinfect, either case rinse well and with bleach dont forget the dechlorinator

thelastmucci

sas,
Thanks for the quick reply. Perhaps I'm confused but this tank is brand new and has neither calcium or lime deposits. So should I just use bleech? I plan on filling the tank with tap water than letting it run for a few days then syphon all of it out. Would I still need to use a dechlorinating agent if I did that.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I'm with Becky, just rinse it out with vinegar to remove production grime etc. There shouldn't be any pathogens, to worry about, in a new tank.

thelastmucci

gee becky I didn't know you thought so highly of me LOL...I couldn't find that article woody but I did read it and it seems pretty good. A bit much though. I agree that it should be used for a QT tank rather thank the main DT. Since people seem to think that theres not too much to it I'll go the vinegar route and just throw some in the tank, wipe it down and then do the leak test.

Thanks for the info guys and gals

BoomerD

Mooch, I'm even lazier than Becky...I'd leak test it BEFORE cleaning it...just in case...but I WOULD clean it well with vinegar and water before I set it up...

prow

a new tank, i would just use regular old water. a used tank, like a QT or hospital tank, then vinegar and/or bleach would be good. but for a new tank, water should do just fine. for your mind sake, you can wipe the sides with isopropyl alcohol(aka, rubbing alcohol) that will be more than enough to get rid of any resins and kill any nasties that may be there. after wiping the alcohol with evaporate in minutes, a little rinse with water if you like and your good to go. so i suggest just wipe it with Isopropyl alcohol :)