How many GPH do you turn through your sump?

I've read that less is better. My set-up will turn 600 gph through the sump. (75G tank, 26G sump w/external return pump). I would like to keep it quiet. Do you guys feel this is a good number? I have 2 powerheads to go in the tank to augment the flow, and it will turn the tank a total of 17 times per hour. Is 600 gallons per hour through the sump a good number?

Thanks

prow

well it depends on whats in your sump. i am ueing miracle mud and have 1700 gph going through it. as far as the turn over in the main tank 17 times kinda low. for some lps and softies might be ok but for sps you need to kick that over 20x. 20x would be the minumal amount for most sps 25x is a better number to shout for, again though it all depends on the corals you have or want.

I don't keep sps, so the flow should be fine. I think I answered my own question here by looking at what my skimmer handles. It's plummed with a mag 7 and the skimmer connection is equivalent to 6 ft. of head, so I should be fine with 375GPH or higher. I was surprized I could go that low. I think I could quiet things down a bit by reducing the size of my return pump and maybe turning 450-500 gph..

Yarr

Im not sure were you get X25 from.... 17 X should be fine. the most normal figure i find here is an average of about 15 times turnover per hour.

In the end it is up to the individual tank requirements and what works for it. Some people might have a higher turnover in the sump becuase they may have lower flow in the display itself. ie.. no powerheads or other flow setup.

Remember the figure we realyl want is display tank water turnover.. so that is a combination of flwo through the sump aswell as tank internal turnover.

aqujoe247

Could you explain, how those calculations work? I have a 55gal i'm setting up as a reef tank. I have a Seaclone 150(don't know the flow rate) powered by a Maxi-Jet1200, sump(rated for 65gal).

I'm debating on a return pump. You guys say atleast 15x turn over per hour, so will my skimmer handle a bigger pump and what size return pump do I need?

The calculation varies depending on the return pump I select"

Velocity t-3 returns 720 GPH when head loss is accounted for.
2 maxijet ph"s at 295 ea.

Total circulation of 1310 GPH. divide bt 75G tank = 17.46 times turnover per hour.

With t-2 pump returning slightly more than 600 gph it would be 16 times turnover.

PS...The skimmer doesn't have anything to do with your flow rate. Just add up the gallons per hour from your return pump and powerheads, and divide the number by your tank size.