How long should I drip acclimate a rose bubble tip?

bshady

anytime i acclimate anything including corals fish inverts i drip for anywhere from 2-4 hours

Blndbunny

I dripped my maxi mini for two hours, she did great and was open and moving within minutes of being put in the tank

Reefltx

Im thinking like 2 hours?

Quote from a reliable source,

"No drip acclimation, my friend. That generally does far more harm than good (raising pH slowly and painfully exposing your animals to increasingly toxic conversion of ammonium to ammonia in the water). The habit is common among aquarists, but your scarcely ever see scientists do it. That's because they actually test their shipping water and see what's goin on. LOL

Floating the bag is also another horrifying habi. Where the bags sit (bagging table) in most wholesalers is a mess of water from every system in the facility (disease risk) plus dirt, bacteria and other forms of contamination. You so not want to rince...errr, I mean float :))) fish bags ion your tank.

Simply set the bag near the tank (leaning against is nice to borrow some heat) and then mix in a cup of tank water into the bag 2 or 3 times over 15 minutes or less. Much less if the animal appears to have shipped well.

Its more important to get the specimen (fish or coral) out of the stress of the bag and into a much better environ (your tank)."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soco

This anem came from my lfs (10 min from my house) so no ammonia was in the water. I have always been urged to drip by everyone. and what your talking about is just a crude way of dripping without the functionality. The water it was in was very good condition as was the water it was going into... the dripping is just a way to make the transition easier :) i was just wondering how long i should drip it for sense i dont have many inverts, mostly corals.

If the anem had been shipped overnight i would tend to agree with you, although i did not specify in my original statement. Thank you though for your input!
I found this website INTRODUCTION - karensroseanemones.net which is has a ton of useful info on Bubbles.

Hope someone else can get as much out of it as I did!

soco

I ended up dripping for two hours with a couple drips per second. Scooped em up in a cup and lowered him into the tank. He instantly grabbed ahold of the rock i placed em on and has been there all night! Hopefully all will still be well in the morn!

Val

Congrats on the nem and getting it safely into your tank. One of the fascinating things about this hobby is how differently it is approached by hobbyists. I'm kinda in the middle on how I acclimate but the time depends alot of the SG of the bag water. If it's close to my levels I'll get stuff in the tank quicker if it's off I may take up to 40 or 45 mintues. As a general rule I try to get stuff in the tank within 30 minutes.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
This anem came from my lfs (10 min from my house) so no ammonia was in the water. I have always been urged to drip by everyone. and what your talking about is just a crude way of dripping without the functionality. The water it was in was very good condition as was the water it was going into... the dripping is just a way to make the transition easier i was just wondering how long i should drip it for sense i dont have many inverts, mostly corals.

I agree.
Anemones are osmoconformers which means that they:

..."maintain their internal salinity so that it is always equal to the surrounding seawater. Osmoconformers do not actively exchange solutes with the environment, but keep their body fluids isotonic to the external environment by actively regulating their internal concentration of amino acids, ions, and proteins to match the osmolarity of the environment."

So any sudden/quick changes can cause severe stress, so my advice is drip acclimation of at least of a couple of hours.

die4lulu

i only drip acclimate new shrimp, ive never drip acclimated a fish, coral, or any anemones. In the end they always turn out fine.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
i only drip acclimate new shrimp, ive never drip acclimated a fish, coral, or any anemones. In the end they always turn out fine.

Why bother with the shrimp ? IME they are nowhere near as sensitive as Anemones, Starfish or even Urchins.

soco

Ya I always just float shrimp for a few then plop them in. Never had any trouble with them they're less sensitive

fata1ity

You don't drip acclimate anemones...

You float them for 30 mins, cut a slit in the bag and place the bag on the surface with the slit facing down. Leave it for 30 mins then take it out.

I do this for all my livestock.

Jake Levi

I slow acclimate everything.

I check the bag water, and release as much of it as I can after its checked, into a container, for disposal, I have a couple 4 gal pails, and I relase the bag into it, with a cup or two of the tank water, then drip a couple drops a sec into the pail, fish 2 hrs, inverts up to 4 hrs, works for me.

I havent transshipped anything in years, those were much longer acclimating, and far closer in the water checks. Right now 3-4 hrs drive is about my longest and those are bagged in O2. Osmotic shock can be a real killer along with a major ph jump.

Once the fish/inverts are acclimated they are netted out and added to the tanks/vats. The water is disposed of.

20nano

So far i have never acclimated any of my 13 corals before, i just dump them right into my tank and they are all growing and doing just fine. I didnt acclimate my Rbta either. I only acclimate fish and inverts. Im sure there are others who disagree but that is my experience. My RBTA split into 2.

Reefltx

So far i have never acclimated any of my 13 corals before, i just dump them right into my tank and they are all growing and doing just fine. I didnt acclimate my Rbta either. I only acclimate fish and inverts. Im sure there are others who disagree but that is my experience. My RBTA split into 2.

I'm guilty of this also, even with sps corals and they all seem to do just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk