How does everyone clean out the sump/filter section of their C-250?

Salty150

How does everyone clean out the sump/filter section of their C-250?

It would seem that a lot of debris would accumulate in the bottom of the sump area after awhile.

DaveK

That happens with any sump. I don't own a c-250, but here is what I do with my sump

Stop the return pump and skimmer pump.
Unplug anything else connected to the sump.
Pump most of the water out of the sump.
Remove any LR and so on that you have in the sump. I don't have any because I feel it works against the system.
Muck out the sump using a large sponge. Your not trying to get it spotless, just get the worst of the glop and dirt.
Refill the sump with new SW.
Put any rocks back.
Start up the pumps.

Salty150

That happens with any sump. I don't own a c-250, but here is what I do with my sump

Stop the return pump and skimmer pump.
Unplug anything else connected to the sump.
Pump most of the water out of the sump.
Remove any LR and so on that you have in the sump. I don't have any because I feel it works against the system.
Muck out the sump using a large sponge. Your not trying to get it spotless, just get the worst of the glop and dirt.
Refill the sump with new SW.
Put any rocks back.
Start up the pumps.

A 4" wide x 36" long x 20" high sump is a little different than your average under stand sump... ;)

I assume most use a gravel cleaner to just get down there and let it suck everything up?

DaveK

A 4" wide x 36" long x 20" high sump is a little different than your average under stand sump... ;)

I assume most use a gravel cleaner to just get down there and let it suck everything up?

Just a question of size. The same factors apply.

You really can't use a typical gravel cleaner on an under the tank sump, since they usually depend upon being a siphon to clean gravel. You can use a shop vac to drain a sump if your going to replace the water,

Salty150

Just a question of size. The same factors apply.

You really can't use a typical gravel cleaner on an under the tank sump, since they usually depend upon being a siphon to clean gravel. You can use a shop vac to drain a sump if your going to replace the water,

I know, I was talking about cleaning the rear sump of the C-250 :)

Rini

Hi,

We have an C-250. I'm cleaning the pumps every 3 months and sump. I combine with an waterchange.
I remove the 2 waterpumps and skimmer compartiment including pump.
Remove enough water that the return nozzle in the tank are just above the water level. To avoid that the sump is filling again.
Then I clean the bottom of the sump with an sifon pump:
sifonpomp.gif

This goes pretty good with this. And suck up a lot of stuff. Amazing how much stuff there is after 3 months in the sump.

And when clean, fresh water adding.

Hope it helps.

Pat24601

Basically, I opportunistically do what Davek says. What I mean by that is it seems like something comes up every now and then when I'm dismantling things in the back of the sump, taking the cover off, etc anyway. For example, when my skimmer pump broke or when one of my fish ended up back there and I had everything out of the sump anyway. I just took the opportunity to clean it while it wasn't that big of an additional hassle.

When something like that happens, I just go ahead and take everything out that isn't out already (really the skimmer is the biggest pain) and wipe it down with a sponge. I probably should take all the water out to do that, but more often I don't bother.

Really, in the two years I've been running, it hasn't got that dirty. I probably did one cleaning that was a bit more "deep" than most. Usually it's really just a brush over once and your done.

I clean my skimmer case the same way. Once

Antics

How's the skimmer working for you? In the process of starting up a c250 and curious about performance without excessive cleaning of the skimmer

zamerico

How's the skimmer working for you? In the process of starting up a c250 and curious about performance without excessive cleaning of the skimmer

My experience is that it does a good job. I'll take a picture of the collection cup during my next water change and send it to you. As many have noted about this skimmer is that it is very sensitive. In other words, a small change in gate height will either stop producing bubbles or overskim. To counteract this, I added a Tunze Osmolator 3152 ATO system. The reservoir is located next to my chiller on the left side. It also has its minuses but just make sure you keep the reservoir and level sensor clean. Having a stable water level has helped my skimmer tremendously after it was dialed in on my tank. I produce a consistent amount of skimmate which stinks tremendously while somehow giving you a good feeling because you know it's working.

Back to topic. I clean my sump by removing the sponges weekly, cleaning the sides with a scrub brush and siphoning out all of the sump water with a 5/8" hose. I put the hose on the bottom of each pump chamber, including the chiller pump. There typically isn't much in there besides sand what gets swirled in the water column then deposited into the overflow and eventually in the pump chambers. I take the skimmer and pumps out twice a year and clean them. All has been great so far.

Antics

My experience is that it does a good job. I'll take a picture of the collection cup during my next water change and send it to you. As many have noted about this skimmer is that it is very sensitive. In other words, a small change in gate height will either stop producing bubbles or overskim. To counteract this, I added a Tunze Osmolator 3152 ATO system. The reservoir is located next to my chiller on the left side. It also has its minuses but just make sure you keep the reservoir and level sensor clean. Having a stable water level has helped my skimmer tremendously after it was dialed in on my tank. I produce a consistent amount of skimmate which stinks tremendously while somehow giving you a good feeling because you know it's working.

Back to topic. I clean my sump by removing the sponges weekly, cleaning the sides with a scrub brush and siphoning out all of the sump water with a 5/8" hose. I put the hose on the bottom of each pump chamber, including the chiller pump. There typically isn't much in there besides sand what gets swirled in the water column then deposited into the overflow and eventually in the pump chambers. I take the skimmer and pumps out twice a year and clean them. All has been great so far.
Thanks! I look forward to seeing it.

Cleaning the back sump area weekly sounds like a chore but it's probably the best practice. Do you also do a water change at this time?

Salty150

Hi,

We have an C-250. I'm cleaning the pumps every 3 months and sump. I combine with an waterchange.
I remove the 2 waterpumps and skimmer compartiment including pump.
Remove enough water that the return nozzle in the tank are just above the water level. To avoid that the sump is filling again.
Then I clean the bottom of the sump with an sifon pump:
View attachment 45784

This goes pretty good with this. And suck up a lot of stuff. Amazing how much stuff there is after 3 months in the sump.

And when clean, fresh water adding.

Hope it helps.

Yup - that is basically what I figured.

Take everything out and use a gravel cleaner, etc. to get all of the debris, etc.

I find it very odd that Red Sea did not design this to trap a lot of that debris (mechanical filter) BEFORE the water hitting the media rack, etc.

The only mechanical filters (two filter sponges) are just right before the exit water pumps.

Which means that a lot of debris gets caught not only in the very bottom of the sump area itself - it also gets caught in the media in the media rack and clogs it much faster.

Red sea seems to have it all backwards - it is supposed to be mechanical filter first - then biological - then chemical - Red Sea has the mechanical filters last.

zamerico

Thanks! I look forward to seeing it.

Cleaning the back sump area weekly sounds like a chore but it's probably the best practice. Do you also do a water change at this time?

It really doesn't add much to the weekly maintenance. I don't siphon from the main tank, only from the sump area. I do a slowish water removal which gives me time to clean the 3 glass sides and the sump area while taking out 10 gallons. I then take out the sponges and skimmer cup, hose them off with a jet sprayer. I ring the sponges and shake the water off, dip them into the water change water for a minute and then put everything back in. Once everything is back, I add the new Red Sea Coral Pro mixed to achieve 1.025 SG, 10 gallons. It is about a 45 minute chore every Saturday morning. Typically done during the Southampton vs. Bournemouth game or whoever is playing that morning.

I wanted a reef tank so that's what I get! However, I get to look at this:

TOTM%2004%20Zamerico-L.jpg

Antics

It really doesn't add much to the weekly maintenance. I don't siphon from the main tank, only from the sump area. I do a slowish water removal which gives me time to clean the 3 glass sides and the sump area while taking out 10 gallons. I then take out the sponges and skimmer cup, hose them off with a jet sprayer. I ring the sponges and shake the water off, dip them into the water change water for a minute and then put everything back in. Once everything is back, I add the new Red Sea Coral Pro mixed to achieve 1.025 SG, 10 gallons. It is about a 45 minute chore every Saturday morning. Typically done during the Southampton vs. Bournemouth game or whoever is playing that morning.

Beautiful!!

Salty150

Beautiful!

Makes it ALL worth while, doesn't it...