• Surge Device

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Hang on Back filters

Votes: 23 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters

Maxx

In the upcoming 58 I will have a Mag 7 returning from the sump...(havent hooked it up yet, and I already want to bump it up to a mag 9.5), a closed loop using an Ocenans Motion HD 4 way being power by an Iwaki 55rlt (pressure rated pump). The closed loop will feed 4 dual loc-line 3/4" returns (8 outlets total) and the loc-line allows me to adjust my flow to areas I want or feel need more movement. I'm also planning on two maxijet 600's (or maybe the 900's cause I have two of each lying around) for use as spray bars.....
Nick

Witfull

now i know why you built the stand so strong,,,the centrifugal forces of all that water swilling around..LOL

Hooked

I hate to spoil the fun and go back on topic :D

But I have to report that my SCWD died--second one. First one was unfiltered on a closed loop, which is a no-no, and it lasted about 4 months. This second one was filtered in the return line and lasted almost exactly a year.

I added a Seio 820 and I have to say I like it so far although it's a little pricey. I mounted it on the back aimed directly at the front glass. It creates additional turbulence on the water surface and I also noticed the surface of my sand bed :look: (I know) looks cleaner. I see fish poop tumbling around in the water column instead of just laying there on the sand.

Witfull

my squid would just stop. turn the pump off and on it would work fine.

no problem redirecting us kids back in line :)

Ed Hahn

I have been using the same SCWD on my 90 AGA for 2 years. I have had no problems. I run a Mag 18 with mine. I just plumbed a new one on my new tank. I will run new one with a Dolphin 2100 Aqua Sea pump. I have the 1 and1/2 inch fitting from Dolphin reduced to a one inch fitting to 3/4 inch line to SCWD. I am running the Dolphin wide open. I have had no problems as of testing for two weeks now.

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
My new 175g will be run off a Mak 4 to a spray bar on the return and a closed loop with a Mag 18. The CL will have loc line attached with 3 outlets I can direct the curent any where I want to. I may add a MJ 1200 or 2 just for good measures

FateX8

Hey guys
after hearing all this stuff about your pumps i was just wondering
which pumps do you guys think is the quietest?
i was thinking about the dolphins but doesnt seem like too many people have them
looks like ill be getting a mag from all the people using it here
thanks
mike

Reelheel

I run a closed loop on a Sequence Dart through two seaswirls, as well as a Ampmaster 2800 for the return pump on my 180g.
On my new 260g prop tank, I'm running two 6100 Tunze Streams and (eventually) a Panworld 150PS through two penductors as the return. I'm going to be using a Mag18 until I get the new Panworld.
Just from an experience standpoint, small powerheads are nice b/c they're cheap and you can put the flow where you want it, but I don't like the look of them in the tank, and they seem to always need cleaning, etc. I've tried to go with simpler setups over the years, with fewer pieces of equipment to keep up with.

I think for flexibility, at least on a large tank, the ideal would be a relatively small sump return, a pretty good sized closed loop, and a couple Streams to really give some punch - they are super efficient and very flexible due to their programability (that's not a word is it?) LOL

MikeP

Just replaced 2 MJ1200's with 2 Seio 620's, now running 2 Seio's and 2 MJ1200's in tank and an Ocean Runner 3500 for return from sump.

Dragon Wrasse

Red Sea wave maker with 4 maxi-jet 600 (160 gph each), 2 Eheim 2213 (116 gph each), wet/dry pump (350 gph), refugium pump-RIO 600 (200 gph).

charlie

1 am3k to 4 3/4" sea swirls
1 am3k to 2 1" returns-main return from sump
1 little giant 4 to 3 3/4" returns behind live rock