how do you post...

angnak

.bmp's I am trying to post a paint image and it is to large. How do you resize a .bmp I can not figure it out.

stuart007

You need some sort of graphics program, like Paintshop. Preferably one that can save the image as a jpg. This alone will reduce the size of the bmp enormously. As well, pretty much all graphics programs can resize the actual picture if you need to reduce it even more.

angnak

okay saved it as a .jpg and the size did not change. I can manually resize the picture, but the file size does not change. I am using Microsoft Paint.

stuart007

Ahh, you're probably correct. Sorry. I got confused because he said that he could manually resize the picture but that didn't change the file size either. Not sure....

stuart007

btw, i noticed your picture of the rectangles was a GIF. That is a good choice for pictures like that, and will compress way better than jpegs. It is also lossless. jpg's are great for real life photos while GIFS are good for computer art or diagrams, where there a lots of areas of the same color.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
GIF is not lossless, it converts 16 million colors into 256 colors or less, there is plenty of information lost, but in situations like above, it is rare that there is a loss as only a few colors were used anyway.

stuart007

Well, that is not exactly true. While most GIF implementation only support 256 colors there are some that can do more than that. So, really it is the implementation of the program that saves as a GIF which must reduce it to 256 colors, and hence the loss of information. It is not the GIF format that is lossy.

Check out True-Color GIF Example