How Do You Make Your Mush?

MarbleShark

This post is to get ideas from all the members on what kind of ingredients you put in your homemade mush.

Some things I would like to see are the following:

• What you put in your mush?
  • How often do you give your fish the mush?
  • What type of fish you give that certain mush to?
  • Any past mush combinations that did not work out well for you?
I look forward to your responses.

Snelly40

currently i use:
Cyclopeeze, mysid shrimp and soom reef diet...(its frozen and cubed and its orange, my LFS swears by it so i use it in there.
I also throw in a little phytoplankton for certain filterfeeders.
i usually feed this about every 3 days and just flake and pellets the other days. Hope this helps.
Everyone loves it though, the fish go nuts and corals look great since i started this as well

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Fresh ingredients only:
  • red tuna
  • salmon
  • scallops
  • dozen clams
  • shelled shrimp
  • Soak all above ingredients in ro/di water for 15 min prior to blending.
  • cyclopeeze
  • green nori
  • freshly pressed garlic
I feed my fish 2-4 times per day. "Feeding" consists of dropping small amounts in 5-10 min apart; usually one 'feeding' takes 20-30 min. All the fish relish this food!! I also feed it to my LPS corals and anemones. I ahve been making 'mush' for a long time and each time the recipe is a bit different.... The fish always go nuts over it.

I also want to explain how I thaw it... I use a small tupperware container and place a large chunk of frozen mush in it (enough for 3 days) then let it thaw in the refrigerator. Other than when I am feeding the fish, it stays in the refrigerator! After 3 days, I wash the container with hot soapy water then repeat...

jay357

Hello:

I followed the instructions on Melvs website. I did add a few other items like Boyds Vitamins for fish. This is a great vitamin for soaking your food in occationally. It was recomended to me by the good people at wetwebmedia.com. I am a firm beleiver that all fish need a varied diet of fresh seafood and vitamins as well as vegi sheets for the tangs and angels. Feeding like this will keep their imune system up and keep them fat and healthy. Heres the link to the recipe. Also he has a wealth of info on lots of things hobby related there be sure to checkout the rest of his website.
http://melevsreef.com/food.html

Jay