How do you guys adjust corals?

lbiminiblue

Hey guys, since the tank has been put back together now, I'm looking to get new corals. I was thinking of acroporas--maybe one or two, along with one montipora and possibly acans. Also debating an anemone for the clowns to host so they don't bother my frogspawn.

I know that it's vey rare to find the perfect spot for a coral on your first try at putting it in--they shrink up and look unhappy. Do you guys move them around a lot, or leave them in their spot for them to get used to it?

I've deatl with this problem with zoas and GSP but never really found moving around to help, even when water parameters were fine. So do you leave them to adapt to their surroundings, or move them around a lot?

Oxylebius

Knowing what the specific sps likes goes a long way. Research before you buy. Look at PAR levels and current levels.

For sps, since they are sensitive to light, current and chemical levels in the tank - after drip acclimating for a couple of hours I usually leave them on the sand bed for a week. This allow the sps to adapt to the chemical params of the tank w/o adding additional stress by the lighting. Then I slowly move them up (every 4-7 days) to the location in the tank I want them. Only a couple of times have I had to move sps around. If you have bright light and good intermittent currents, they should be happy. If perchance you see that they aren't doing well, then absolutely move them.

Finding out the species and looking up PAR levels helps a lot. Also knowing if it is a deep-water acro or not is helpful in determining what light levels they will likely do best in. Most acros are light loving corals, but don't place a deep-water acro at the top of your tank. It won't be happy. (unless you don't have strong lighting to begin with).

Also knowing how it grows helps with determining the best placement for them, some acros grow in tables, and other form plates, columns, ridges, bushes, fingers, or clustering.

Some acros are easier to keep then others. Finding the easier to keep acros to begin with should help you succeed. Once you get a handle on those, you can move on to more difficult acros.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I agree with oxy as in that's the right way to do it. On the other hand, I don't recall ever drip acclimating any acros. I just temp them, dip, rinse and put them right in :)