How do i trim this?

ed84g

Hi... At risk of sounding like an idiot I don't know the names of many of the corals in my tank.

Could I please get some advice on trimming the large one to the right/top. It has grown many new heads since I got it. I want to trim the back part (left part of the Coral to the right in the image but it's towards the back of the tank) , it is safe to just cut off the small heads I don't want?

Is there a good way to do this so that they will grow separately or would it be a case of anything removed will die?

Oh, and there is no way to remove it so ill need to do it in the tank if possible.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I have never cut any of my coral before.

ta2a9e8y.jpg

gu4erete.jpg

Here is a full tank shot just because! The lighting in the photo kinda sucks.

azy6aga2.jpg

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

frisbee

It looks kind of like a Duncan coral to me. You can't really cut the tissue, so breaking the skeleton into separate parts would be the only way of trimming that coral as far as I know. GL.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
yeah its a duncan. I would cut it down by the "Y" piece, maybe a 1/2" up from the "Y"

ed84g

Thanks. And now I know the name :)

If I cut the skeleton will it continue to grow from where I cut it or would that part stop growing? Also, would the part I cut off continue to grow if I attach it somewhere else?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2