How do I frag mushrooms and palys.

JoeCanada11

I have a nice mushroom rock that I purchased recently it has about 16 shrooms on it. I have read that I can cut them off and new ones will grow at the base. I would like to give a few to a friend of mine. My question is after I cut the heads off can they be glued like other frags or do I have to use the netting method and let them reattach themselves.

Secondly my paly colony is really quite large and I also want to frag some palys and spread the love. How is this done?

Joe

theplantman

When you frag the shrooms you should use the net method to allow them to re-attach or put a small container with rubble in it in a low flow area and place the shroom in that until it re-attaches. As far as the paly's go, I like to use a bone cutter and just snip off a piece of rock with some paly's on it. IMPORTANT***** MAKE SURE YOU WHERE PROTECTIVE CLOTHING/GLOVES AT ALL TIMES WHILE FRAGGING PALY'S AND ZOAS****** Poisoning from palytoxin is no laughing matter and is all too frequent in this hobby.

Good luck!

theplantman

The expensive route and I would recommend it if fragging and selling corals is going to be a big part of the hobby for you is to get a band saw specifically made for cutting coral. You can find them all over the web and a decent one will run two to three hundred dollars.

I've fragged Palys by snipping a polyp off and sticking it to rock using putty, not ideal I know but I had no glue at the time and each one I've done has spread well, they seem pretty tolerant!

Sent from sunny Essex

JoeCanada11

Thanks for the info. I ask have another question. I picked up a pulsing Xenia frag which is attached to a small piece of rock. I want to glue it onto one my rocks higher up. Is it okay to use super glue gel? I picked some up the other day and it looked like a good option.

theplantman

Yep, this is the one I use.

4g Control Gel Super Glue-234790 at The Home Depot

Depending on your lighting and the positioning of your flow pumps, I would not go higher than half way up the tank. They prefer moderate lighting and medium water flow... Also these grow like weeds so try to place them on a rock that is isolated that you won't be distressed about when 3-6 months down the road they completely take it over. I made the mistake in my last set up of putting them on a feature rock with my ricordeas and once a month had to pull them like weeds or they would have taken over.

What is the best way to remove the mushrooms without them growing back? I have tons in my tank and they add a lot of color, but there are just too many of them.

RSM250 w/ Steve's LEDs

vsiege

Send them all to me please.... i would love them.

If you are looking to get rid of the, I believe the aptasia spot treatment will work just fine. I have seen it used on controlling nuisance zoas.

PS I have tried and used the super glue recommended above:
1. It works well with rock to rock
2. Works well with rock to plastic
3. Does not work on rock to glass
4. Does not work on propagated coral piece to rock or glass

forestal

Superglue can work well on corals and rock - try blotting them with a towel - water will tend to harden it before it sticks. Putty for stoniest can work
Also for softies use plastic toothpicks to skewer through the base and tie with thread or use rubber bands to hold onto a rock until it attaches itself.
Zoos can be weeds - removing them might be by killing the rock completely but usung razor blade often you can shave a layer of the rock under them without cutting them directly.
- I second the caution use gloves and goggles- a squirt in the eye can be just as dangerous