how can you get silicone off?

glampka

Only way I know how is to VERY CAREFULLY use a razor blade. Once the stuff is cured, it's tough to get off with anything else. You might try using a heat gun (hair dryer) to soften it up a bit.

r2d2

Razor blade or knife (same thing). I recently modify my sump and remove a lot of silicone this way. Very fast once you get it. No problem with scratches.
Greetings

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
can you believe it? Liquid silicon dissolver? most hardware stores carry it for removing silicon around showers, its GREAT!

Jeremy0322

can you believe it? Liquid silicon dissolver? most hardware stores carry it for removing silicon around showers, its GREAT!

how much does something such as this cost, and is it runny, cause i can see it causing a problem running onto the seams of the tank, which is a HORRIBLE outcome.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
how much does something such as this cost, and is it runny, cause i can see it causing a problem running onto the seams of the tank, which is a HORRIBLE outcome.

comes in gel form. Ive used it to strip seals and its never gotten between the panels.

Phreek

thanks sasquatch. and thanks everyone else, if this silicon dissolver works so well how come nobody else uses it? im sure it isnt very safe to use for aquariums

lcstorc

I have no personal knowledge and have never found the need to remove silicone but personally I would trust Sas.
(Be careful with that walking stick Sas. You might shoot yourself in your big hairy foot.)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I have no personal knowledge and have never found the need to remove silicone but personally I would trust Sas.
(Be careful with that walking stick Sas. You might shoot yourself in your big hairy foot.)

lol, I do that quite often, or is that foot in my mouff? :faces: besides the skimmer people have been acting out again and forced me to build them a new tank sheesh!