How am I doing? PLEASE HELP! Story is long but I need to know if I am doing it right!

Hello!

I apologize in advance for the length of this/these questions. I just want to try and explain my entire situation so you guys can tell me if I am forgetting anything or if I am getting anything wrong. Thanks for your time.

So... I have this new addition to my life... A 75 gallon reef tank. I acquired it from a friend moving out of the state. For Free! I had to take it. I have never had any kind of fish tank before, so I think I will need some help! I have done my fair share of research but... WOW... this isn't a gold fish in a bowl. I am more than willing to put in the time to make this work. I have read two books and I just purchased and have starting to read "Reef Aqauriums: Vol. 3, Science, art and technology".

Before the move: The tank was in pretty bad shape. It had allot of green algae and was not kept up on.

The move: I defiantly did quite a bit of research on how to do this and feel I did a good job. Before resetting up the tank I took a soft bristle brush to the live rock to get some of the algae off. The tank is now set up and is looking good. It has been up for just over a week and I have done a couple 25% water changes. I used tap water with those drops to eliminate chlorine. I know that’s not the “best” but I money is tight. (I know this isn’t cheap)

Filter system: Not sure what it is called but here is my best effort at describing it… from in the tank the water overflows basically into a tube that takes it to a 3 chamber sump tank... Chamber one has the protein skimmer in it. Then the water flows over the top of the divider into chamber two. In chamber two the water flows through a blue/white filter media and down through a bunch of Bio-Balls. Then under the partition and on to chamber three which houses the pump that returns the water to the tank. I would say the sump holds about ten gallons.

Livestock: I would guess I have 75 lbs of live rock and about 4-5 inches of substrate. There are a bunch of red mushroom corals. There are several spots where Sea Mat/ Button Polyps are growing. There seems to be several kinds and sizes... two of which are a pretty good size. I have a pink tipped anemone. (New Addition) I just got him two days ago and really looks like he is not doing well. He deflating and came back this morning and he is again deflated and limp... Is this normal? There is also a many branch torch coral. At one point each tip of each branch had living tentacles. (Long before I had it) I counted about 25 branch tips of which 4-5 are visibly living. Are the rest dead? What do I do with this? They look pretty cool even though there are no tentacles… just hard ribbed and white where they would be. I have two common clown fish who host this torch coral and got very mad when I removed a couple Bubble Algae. There are also three Yellow Tailed Damsels. (New Additions) The guy at the store said they would be fine for my situation but after more research I found I should have waited to add these guys as they tend to be more aggressive to delicate new additions. They did pick on the two clowns but have been nicer lately. I also have a Blue Linckia Starfish, two very tiny stars, and a couple crabs. Everything but the Damsels and the pink tip anemone came with the set-up.

Water: Salinity = 1.022-1.023
Temp = 77 degrees F
I took a water sample to my LFS and he said my Nitrate, Nitrite, and Ammonia levels were perfect, and my PH was 8.0 - 8.2.

So… How am I doing? What do I need to think about? Any recommendations?

Thank you very much for your help.

The Rookie Reefer.

ReefLady

Staff member
Re: How am I doing? PLEASE HELP! Story is long but I need to know if I am doing it ri

Wow, definitely appreciate all the information, and your efforts to make this tank successful. Sounds like you've found a new hobby, and have a bit of work cut out for you. You're definitely on the right track - reading and researching. Just keep in mind to do that before buying anything. We all would have warned you about the anemone (more on that later). Okay, let's see what I can help with. More people will chime in for sure.

I used tap water with those drops to eliminate chlorine. I know that’s not the “best” but I money is tight. (I know this isn’t cheap)

Tap water will be your absolute worst enemy, and will cost you a ton of $$ and frustration in tank woes (primarily nuisance algae). If you can't afford a RO/DI system, see if you can buy RO/DI water (or prepared SW) from the LFS, or buy distilled water from your grocery store. Anything is better than tap.

In chamber two the water flows through a blue/white filter media and down through a bunch of Bio-Balls. Then under the partition and on to chamber three which houses the pump that returns the water to the tank

You'll probably want to get rid of the bioballs (are they fully submerged or partially exposed to air?) and replace with LR rubble. But you'll want to do so slowly.

I have a pink tipped anemone. (New Addition) I just got him two days ago and really looks like he is not doing well. He deflating and came back this morning and he is again deflated and limp... Is this normal?

They do react to stress/moving, but can be tough creatures to care for. They need pretty pristine water conditions, lots of water flow/movement, and pretty strong lighting. Will also need to be fed. Most people don't recommend an anemone until the tank has been stable for > 1 yr.

Are the rest dead? What do I do with this?
They could possibly be dead, but I've seen regrowth from very little tissue. The dead skeleton won't hurt anything.

Water: Salinity = 1.022-1.023

You want to slowly boost this to 1.025 for a reef. *Slowly*

Temp = 77 degrees F
Not bad. I'd aim for 78-79, but that's splitting hairs.

So… How am I doing? What do I need to think about? Any recommendations?

I think you've accomplished a lot - kudos to you. Main recommendation is to read and research, and hold off buying anything for a little while.

What kind of lights do you have? That will drive a lot of purchasing decisions.

You're also going to want ca and alk tests - very important for reefs.

Oh, and :welcomera !!

HTH,

blue_eyes53813

Re: How am I doing? PLEASE HELP! Story is long but I need to know if I am doing it ri

Sounds like an awesome set up... I would buy your own test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates... They are very good to have on hand..

I think Reeflady asked you but how much lighting do you have? Anemones need high light.. You said you wasnt sure if it was doing to good? if it dies be very careful. It can polute the water in a very short time.. I hope it lives but Just a heads up for you..

Also during the move did the sand get mixed up a lot? The sand bed can hold a lot of waste and if stir and be released into the water.. Thats why it would be a good idea to test it yourself...

Welcome to Rs and keep us posted..

Thank you!

Now the pink tipped anemone has pulled all its tenticals inside itself. the guy at the store said if this happed to pull him out because he is dead. How do I know for sure if he is dead?

hell desintigrate really.. you may just come back or he may have just gone into himself.. youll know when hes dead dont worry..
welcome to RS and remember to take this hobby S-L-O-W thats the key word..

yungreefer2410

what kind of lights do you have? is your substrate crushed coral or sand?

The Bio Balls- there is about a 5-6 inch cube filled with them and half of the top layer is exposed to air.

As for lighting- There are two 65W Dual Actinic bulbs, and two 65W Dual Daylight bulbs.

During the move I removed all the sand and had the tank complely empty. I put it all back when I set it back up. I tried to rinse throught it while it was out.

Substrate is Crushed coral.. I think.. Definately not sand. Small shells in it as well.

yungreefer2410

i would replace that with sand. crushed coral can cause high nitrates. def not enough light for the anem

Reddog170

Welcome to RS and a lifelong addiction. I agree slowly get rid of the bio balls, replace with LR ruble. Also STOP adding anything. Get your own test kits, an lfs told me that it would be alright to add stuff to my tank only to have me kill it all in a matter of days cause my tank was still cycling. This is a hobby that ,unlike the rest of the world, is a SLOW progression. Taking your time is always good. Your nem may need some food, maybe try some shrimp. I am not a fan of damsels so I will not coment there. Sounds like your tank is otherwise doing ok. NO MORE TAP WATER. Been there done that :D Also What do you have for water movement? You are on the right path. Ask questions before you buy, research, wait. Keep us posted, Shaun

Where should I be with lights if what I have is not enough. i don't want longer time but more intensity? do they sell stronger lights that would fit what I already have? I know that is realy general.."what I have".. but the housing unit for the four dual bulbs is I am sure typical for fish tanks.

The anemone did come back out. Boy, am I glad I did not do what the guy at my LFS said to do as soon as it went fully inside itself. I hope what lighting I have will sufice for the mean time.

My next purchase will be test kits.

OK... No more tap water.

As for water movement... I feel I should be ok. there are two output tube that basically hang from the center-back-top and shoot water to both sides.

And wow... you all have been a big help... I was very surprised to see how quick and how many responses I recieved. I think this website will prove very benificial. Thanks again!

chipmunkofdoom2

Sounds like you are doing well. Welcome to the hobby. My biggest concern is the anemone. It has to go. PC lighting, which is what you have, is not sufficient for them. They typically only thrive under the most intense lighting available to us.

what does the PC stand for?

I want to be able to have an anemone... what do I need in order to make this work. Would a 400 watt metal halide be too much? I may have access to one.

chipmunkofdoom2

PC stands for "power compacts", or compact fluorescents. Any type of MH would be good enough for them, but the light is only half the game. The water quality has to be top notch for them to be happy.

I can understand the desire to keep an anemone... they are beautiful, especially some of the BTAs, but they're pretty complex and need some pretty top notch water quality. If you stick with it, you WILL be able to house an anemone some day, but it is not this day.

In the mean time, why not try some simple corals? I know you have mushrooms and zoas which are great starters, but there are lots of moderate light corals that you can house in your current setup. Ricordea are a great choice and you could probably do some other assorted soft corals and LPSs.

What do you recomend I do with it?
Do you feel it would be impossible for it to work?

I guess I was confussed about what an anemone is. I figured because I have quite a bit of torch coral and it seems to be doing very well since the tank was moved that I would be fine with the anemone. What is the difference between the two? So the anemone is an animals and the torch coral is a plant?

BLAKEJOHN

anemones are cniderians like jellyfish. They are are all fleshy and can sting. Coral is a member of the poriforas and are single celled organisms living in colonies. They have hard calcium rich shells and they cant sting unlike anemones.

Corals are generally defined as many individual organisms living together; whereas an anemone is a single organism. Also, corals cover themselves with a calcified covering (that's why they are hard like a shell) an anemones do not.
These answers are not 100% correct and they are not my answers. But give you a rough Idea of the two.

The thing with the Anenomes and corals are thier requirements. Alot of corals that can resemble an anenome dont require as much light as the anenome does. Also these corals can survive in water that is not so perfect (excessive nutrients) as the anenome most likely will not. Anenomes require periodical feedings of whole foods ( whole fish, whole shrimp, ect..) and these corals will get micro-scopic foods and some other foods from the water column.

As for your lighting it is not the intensity of the lights that is important but really the PAR value that can be achieved through the water (Photo synthetically Active Radiation (PAR) emitted by a lamp. They account for the nutritional value of light ). PC's are pretty much at the bottom end of the scale in reference to PAR, Metal Halides are at the top. Do your reasearch on as much as you can.

What I would say for now (since you have a full reef in your lap) Get test kits for Ammonia, Nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, PH and most importantly for a reef tank Alkanility, magnesium and calcium.
Here is where you numbers should sit
calcium...about 420ppm
Magnesium...about 1380ppm
Alkalinity...About 10dKH or 3.5meq/l
Ammonia...0
Nitrites...0
Nitrates...less than 10ppm (perferably as close to zero as you can get)
PH...8.0-8.4
Phosphates....less than .02ppm

Do weekly water changes of at least 10% and be sure to mix the water and salt (in a separate container with a heater, thermometer and a powerhead), have it age for 24hrs. Also have the temp and salinity match the tank before adding it to the tank. Top off tank with pure freshwater daily (not tap), Clean the skimmer every week (empty collection cup as needed), If you keep the filter pads or any sponges clean them every couple of days. Manuelly remove as much Algae as you can when you can.

Just do this simple husbandry and do not add anything to the tank untill you get more information about it (except food for the fishys and of course water).

ReefLady

Staff member

Blakejohn, great post.

Will it be impossible for you to keep an anemone? Well, never say never, but having a "new" tank with possibly unstable water parameters is not going to give it the best chance - and they can be tough to keep under the best conditions. I'm sorry if you answered this already, but what is the general color of the anemone? You'll have a much better chance if has a lot of *color* (brown, green, etc.) White is not a sign of a healthy anemone.
You'll give it a *much* better chance if you can secure that MH. Also, feed it - small chunks of raw seafood (experiment with different kinds), twice or three times weekly.

The Bio Balls- there is about a 5-6 inch cube filled with them and half of the top layer is exposed to air.

Gotta go - this setup will retain high nitrate levels. Replace the bio balls with live rock rubble, but make sure the rock is fully submerged. Replace a little at a time -- the total replacement should happen over the course of a few weeks.

Got any pics of the tank?

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Welcome to the hobby and great first post.
You have given us a lot of info to work with.
Everybody here is giving you great advice but the one thing I don't think has been stressed enough is to go slowly. No only with new purchases (which should wait until a lot of things happen) but take these changes slowly. Don't do them all at once.
IMO the first things to do would be to get the test kits and work on the water quality and water changes. If you change too much at once you are likely to have bad results. If there was no livestock we would say go for it and you could have a regular cycle without worrying but since you already have life in the tank you will need to be more careful.
Pictures of the tank and the animals in it would be very helpful as well as the actual numbers from the water tests.
One more very important thing. Do not just trust the LFS. Continue to do the research like you have been. Some LFS are great but many are there just to make money. They will sell you unnecessary equipment or supplements and even worse animals you are not ready for etc. Remember, they are there to make money not to see you have a wonderful reef.
You are doing great with the research. That is one of the most important things so we definitely want to encourage that.

The anmone is a tan color with bright pink spots at each tip