Hoven's Wrasse and crushed coral in a very lonely tank....

Squatch XXL

Firstly, I am not a fish person. I much prefer crustaceans.

Back in December, I gave away my only fish which was a bi-color chromis. I have let my corals grow and spread over the last 4 months. I did not do enough research, and decided that I wanted a wrasse as a "work" fish. I have zoas as a primary focus, and felt that IF there ever were an issue with pests, that a wrasse would be good to have......I made an impulse buy of a juvenile hoven's wrasse AND only after introduction to the DT read more about their sleeping habits.

The fish itself was quick to start eating at all my little tube worms and whatever else it could fit into its mouth. I watched it off and on for a few hours, and by 10pm I just missed it going to bed. I know it went to bed because it stirred up some of the substrate. I know where it slept last night, and it is out and about before the lights came on.

I will be going out in the next few minutes for some sand, and will be using a container of some sort to hold the sand.

My question then is simple. Should I put the "sand bed" where it slept last night or IF I put it in a more simple location will it get smart and go there?

I know that obviously it is up to the fish to choose where it rests at night, but does anyone have experience with this type of behavior in wrasses?

Oxylebius

I'd try to place it where you want it and eventually the wrasse will make its home there. Keep in mind this fish has moved around a bit before it got to your tank. At this point it has probably had to deal with finding a new place to sleep on several occasions. Hopefully, it will continue to be able to adapt and will choose the location where you want the sand. IME, having wrasses in a QT with tupperware of sand, some wrasses took to it right away and others took a couple of nights, but all used the sand given to them.

Oxylebius

Good luck.

I have only used tupperware in the short term in the QT. Not long term - so I can't say how the tupperware holds up or if over time it releases any chemicals (particularly if it breaks down). Watch to see if the fish goes for the sand. Give it a couple of weeks. Sometimes these wrasses are slow to change.